Jammming - stuck on step one, can't even create-react-app

Working on the Jammming portfolio project and I can’t get the environment set up. That’s right, I’m stuck on the first step, and I honestly don’t understand what we’re doing.
I’m using the Node command prompt, I’m trying every piece of code that the various instructions, hints and links are throwing at me, and nothing is going anywhere.

I tchanged my directory to my desired location, as per the instructions and typed:

$ npx create-react-app jammming

and got this response:

C:\Users\Brendan & Jo\Documents\IT Career Change\Projects>npx create-react-app jammming
'Jo\AppData\Local\npm-cache_npx\c67e74de0542c87c\node_modules.bin' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1080
throw err;
^

Error: Cannot find module ‘C:\Users\create-react-app\index.js’
at Module._resolveFilename (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1077:15)
at Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:922:27)
at Function.executeUserEntryPoint [as runMain] (node:internal/modules/run_main:86:12)
at node:internal/main/run_main_module:23:47 {
code: ‘MODULE_NOT_FOUND’,
requireStack:
}

Node.js v18.18.2

weird, because I checked and …\c67e74de0542c87c\node_modules.bin\ absolutely 100% exists.
I don’t know what this is about: Cannot find module ‘C:\Users\create-react-app\index.js’
I was not in that directory at all, no where near!

I’ve also followed the link in the hint for the project which brings me to https://create-react-app.dev/ and none of the codes to start a project or update work at all, everything is spitting back errors.

Am I missing something obvious? Do we need a specific program for this to work? Do we need to configure our browser or computer in a certain way? Does it only work on a Mac? Is there a problem with Windows 11? Is GitHub involved in some way? Does it only work with certain command prompts? GitBash? Notepad++? Does it work from the UK? Is the whole thing out of date and I should move on? Anyone else completely stumped by the very first task we’re asked to do?

1 Like

Did you get to move on from this? I had the same issues for about 3 months on the Jamming App project. Honestly, its a massive leap from the prior Spicy Tangy Food order form project to this Spotify App… If you look at the completed project code, I don’t feel prepared with the prior coursework to even begin this Jamming project, especially all the API parts - no idea!! But to your point, I had the same errors issue, and couldn’t even setup a React App in VS Code with those same errors you had. This site gave me some prompts on how to move forward with create-react-app when nothing else was working… Best of JS • Create React App

1 Like

Oh my GOD a person!!! Someone ELSE is using the forums???

Thanks for the info! But no, I gave up on this and moved on, like most of the other projects because codecademy forums are a ghost town. This is the first reply to the questions I’ve put forward in months.

I’ve slowly drudged through to about halfway into the full-stack program and I honestly can’t be bothered to go back and fix everything that hasn’t worked. If a job posting requires those related skills, I’ll revisit them I suppose. But thanks for the extra resources, it will surely be useful in the future. Happy coding!!

Hey cloud,

I have had nothing but problems with create-react-app. I made multiple attempts at downloading it and it flat out doesn’t work. Below is my error.

Compiled with problems:

ERROR

[eslint] Plugin “react” was conflicted between “package.json » eslint-config-react-app » C:\Users\johnw\Documents\Code Development\projects\reactapp\node_modules\eslint-config-react-app\base.js” and “BaseConfig » C:\Users\johnw\Documents\Code Development\Projects\reactapp\node_modules\eslint-config-react-app\base.js”.

I recently bought a React book and it noted the React team no longer recommends create-react app in their official documentation, so it’s no longer the default method for setting up a new React project. React now recommends Next.js, Remix or Gatsby for comprehensive solutions, and Vite or Parcel for simpler alternatives.

I think Codecademy should reconsider their recommendation of creat-react-app.

-John

Thanks for this! I keep forgetting that many of these projects are a few years old and this stuff changes so much. I’ve since moved on, but I’ll go back and make a React App at some point I’m sure, I’ll take a look at those alternatives.