I've graduated from JavaScript… Now What?

After learning javascript what would be the next language/topic to learn? I've begun with Angular but find it very confusing during only the next lesson. Is this the wrong path? Or would you recommend I stick with it?

Generally speaking, we have only begun to learn JavaScript so it should not be in the rear view mirror, at this point. Squarely in our sights is the place to keep it. Granted, it's my opinion, but the thing to do now is switch to second gear in this language rather than switch to another new language. Learn this one, and that means continue to study and look for tougher courses and study material.

You can never be too strong in HTML and CSS, and the same can be said for their best friend, JavaScript. Work with all three constantly until you begin to produce quality interfaces. Then study the interfaces and find weaknesses and ways to improve them.

Study up on UX as it relates to usability, accessibility, validation, and standards as a whole. The key focus is the user interface, regardless the language. JavaScript is the perfect place to start building foundational understanding of the user interface, namely browsers and smart devices.

Once you are comfortable with the main three (as I like to call them) then the logical leap would be server-side programming with PHP, Python, Ruby, etc.Your strength in the core browser API's will make these languages a cinch (sort of, they are all college level languages to learn). There is no hurry or race to get to this level. Stay grounded and focus on the prize: the user interface.

What's next for me?

Well, congratulations on completing the course!. I just did too, and now I'm looking to to the future. Here are some thoughts on the course:

The Pros

1. Covered a lot of different functions, tools etc
    (These will be great to build on!)
  2. Plenty of support (thanks to everyone who was patient with us all on forums!
  3. Lots of hints to help when stuck!

The Cons

1. Seems like a lot was math based!
    (I understand the value of math, but it hurt my head LOL)
  2. Some parts of the course were worded in a confusing way.

So, what's next?

I'm planning on improving, building on what i know!

I'm going to do this by
  • Reviewing the course again for parts i struggled on
  • Working through HTML and CSS again
  • Trying to learn more intermediate JavaScript techniques
  • Working through the "Build a..Projects :smile:

If you've read this far, thank you. Thanks to CodeAcademy staff for providing us the education :) , good luck everyone and enjoy coding!

after tackling html/css and Javascript, my next step would be PHP or Jquery. javascript is called "client side coding" and PHP is "server side coding" (or atleast i think so, lol); thanks everyone and good luck.

Excellent advice. Thank you. Can I switch to a second gear in this language in CodeCademy?

Application is always best if it follows close on the heels of any learning. The next gear is about merging everything into finished interfaces. Continue to dive into any JavaScript MOOC you can find, and continue to learn new ways to utilize JS. We can picture that there are many hats when it comes to web development. Any learning should be a mix of all the components.

HTML5 gives us the canvas and audio/video capability. The sky is the limit once you start coding for graphics. It can get heavy real fast, though, so drill on the basics, and don't lose sight of them. Khan Academy has a decent vanilla JS module, as well as a graphics programming module (that uses the canvas).

JavaScript may also be used as a development kit in some cloud APIs such as Parse and Firebase. A good understanding of AJAX and JSON are in the mix if we go that direction. It might be another gear, but everything in good time. The main thing is to keep learning, and apply what you learn as you go.

I've been some Udacity classes on web dev and they are very good with projects. The courses are free for those who don't want direct instructor support or a certificate. If you can get along with the help of other colleagues and don't want a certificate, I suggest you go for the front-end web developer course at Udacity.