Issues with gold metal metrics project files

Hi there,
I am having issues with the Gold Metal Metrics SQL Project

When I unzipped the files and start running the commands, I ran into this error when running the command npm run webpack.

Invalid configuration object. Webpack has been initialized using a configuration object that does not match the API schema.
 - configuration.module has an unknown property 'loaders'. These properties are valid:
   object { defaultRules?, exprContextCritical?, exprContextRecursive?, exprContextRegExp?, exprContextRequest?, generator?, noParse?, parser?, rules?, strictExportPresence?, strictThisContextOnImports?, unknownContextCritical?, unknownContextRecursive?, unknownContextRegExp?, unknownContextRequest?, unsafeCache?, wrappedContextCritical?, wrappedContextRecursive?, wrappedContextRegExp? }
   -> Options affecting the normal modules (`NormalModuleFactory`).
   Did you mean module.rules or module.rules.*.use?

I searched the community forum and only found this one message with no replies that was automatically closed due to inactivity. I don’t even see any other thread for this project at this time (nov 2021).

I figured out through searching on stack overflow that the loaders property on the module object is obsolete with recent versions of webpack, I resolved this by uninstalling and installing version 2.1.0-beta.22 based on a comment in this thread because I don’t understand the webpack.config.js file well enough to try to replace the loader property with rules without a specific guidance. But now when I run npm run webpack I am seeing this error:

ERROR in ./index.js
Module build failed: TypeError: fileSystem.statSync is not a function
    at module.exports (/Users/.../project-5-gold-medal-metrics-start/node_modules/babel-loader/lib/utils/exists.js:7:25)
    at find (/Users/.../project-5-gold-medal-metrics-start/node_modules/babel-loader/lib/resolve-rc.js:13:9)
    at Object.module.exports (/Users/.../project-5-gold-medal-metrics-start/node_modules/babel-loader/lib/index.js:111:132)

I then found this thread that seemed to suggest that downgrading to an older version of babel-loader would resolve the issue. It seemed to but now when I run npm run webpack, I get this error:

ERROR in ./utils/GoldMedalMetrics.js
Module not found: Error: Can't resolve 'whatwg-fetch' in '/Users/anabelcurry/Projects/web-basics/codeacademy/lesson-notes/LessonSQLite/project-5-gold-medal-metrics-start/utils'
 @ ./utils/GoldMedalMetrics.js 7:0-23
 @ ./Components/CountryDetail.js
 @ ./App.js
 @ ./index.js

And sadly this has been my dead end. I am at a loss of what to do next, I can’t find a clear answer and even if I did, I fear that this is a domino effect of downgrading, and I would be better off just trying to replace the loaders with rules, I just don’t know how.

Any ideas? I would hate to skip this project without ever making it to step one.

Update, I think something was wrong with the forum search before. I searched the project title but no results came back. I couldn’t even hit the search button or enter to search, I was only able to get as far as I did by opening the filter modal and clicking search in there.
In any case I am seeing more results, I’m definitely not the only person with this issue, so I am going to read more of those posts now that I found them.