Is the feeling of being overwhelmed normal?

Hi Everyone!

First dipped my toes into programming/coding last year, but keep finding myself overwhelmed and confused so many different technology’s and terminology and just so much to learn!

Has anybody else experienced this? Or had these same thoughts? I don’t want to be a quitter and I want to complete the full stack development path but sometimes doubt myself too much!

Would be nice to hear other people’s story’s and opinions on how they began and the motions they went through on their journey!

Peace Out! :v:

Oh yeah. Definitely have. Actually, I’ve been feeling pretty overwhelmed lately.
Feeling overwhelmed makes me so desperate, because I feel like I should keep absorbing new information, but I don’t feel like I’m really understanding what I read anymore.

And it’s hard for me, but I figured that when that starts to happen I need to take a break. Maybe go for a walk, or just work on something else. Take some time to digest what I’ve learned so far. A lot of the time, things that I just couldn’t understand at all, make sense immediately when I come back to them after taking a break. It’s like “oh, it wasn’t actually that hard, my brain was just already overwhelmed with so much information” lol.

Taking notes really helps here, cause it helps you solidify your knowledge. You can’t try to keep building new knowledge on top of shaky knowledge, if you know what I mean.

The most important takeaway that I’ve gotten from these kinds of situations is that if I can’t keep absorbing more information, it doesn’t mean I’m dumb. It simply means I need a break, and that’s fine. I’ll come back to give it my best later on, there’s no point in trying to learn while you’re drained.

So yeah, it’s definitely normal to feel overwhelmed, and I believe you should always take a break if it happens :smile_cat:

1 Like

Hi,

I think it’s very normal to feel overwhelmed, particularly by a new set of technologies and terminologies.

I did CS in high school and then took a long time off of it doing music. Coming back last year was in no way easy but I guess what helped me was that I knew it is a lot to take in… and that there’s no way to take it all in at once (so in a sense removes the pressure). I personally anchor my motivation by studying things that I like alongside with the must-haves.

2 Likes

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the advice, I guess it’s good to know I’m not the only one who feels overwhelmed.

My current mode of learning is just spending 1 hour a day 5 times per week. I think my problem is I over think things to much. My brain is always subconsciously thinking and asking questions such as, theirs millions of people out their who can already program what’s the point in me doing it all the jobs will already be taken, should I be doing a degree is just learning the skills enough. Do I even enjoy this or am I just desperate to change careers.

I need to just stop overthinking and just get on with it I think I’m making this journey harder for myself!

3 Likes