Is Sass better than Bootstrap in making my website responsive?

Basicaly, the title. All my past projects have used Bootstrap 4 but there is something that bothers me when using it. I feel I don’t have enough control and it feels like a cheat, like an easy win to make my website responsive using Bootstrap.

However I feel that Sass is more “honest” work and is not a shortcut towards a fully responsive experience, and that through Sass, I am still 100% in control of my work. I haven’t really used Sass so far and I am not entirely sure of all its features.

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Not quite the same thing.

Bootstrap is a front-end web framework, whereas Sass is an extension of CSS / pre-processor.

It’s basically CSS with added features, such as nested rules, variables, mixins, selector inheritance…

While Bootstrap does a lot of the heavy lifting for you, Sass needs to be written by you – much like vanilla CSS, but with the added features. And it enables you to organize your stylesheets better.

It’s a matter of preference, really. I’ve decided I won’t use either. I like my CSS all vanilla. I don’t want the prebuilt UI components of Bootstrap, because I like to do it all my own way. And Sass, well… it can be useful. It’s definitely more work than Bootstrap. It depends what you want.

To get something done quickly, use Bootstrap.
If you want everything custom-made, use vanilla CSS or Sass or Less.

But, to answer the question – no, Sass isn’t particularly better to make your website responsive. Bootstrap definitely makes it easier. Because a lot of the work has been done for you.

1 Like

I quite like having the pre-built components of a front-end framework, though I don’t much care for Bootstrap.

I find using a framework is a bit like the web equivalent of Lego… everyone gets the same pieces, lets see what you can build. :slight_smile:

2 Likes