Is_prime

I can't get past 4 with this code(the number not the instruction). I have no idea where to start on how to fix this. Thank you.

def is_prime(x):
    test = x % 2
    if x % 2 == 1 or x:
        while x != 1:
            return True
            break
        else:
            return False
    else:
        return False
print is_prime(4)

First, think for a moment what defines a non-Prime: Divisibility. How are you factoring this rule into your code?

I am trying to test if a number is prime with the modulo operator, which should return 0 when it is asked 4 % 2. I don't see where the code is messing up. Am I using the modulo operator wrong?

Less wrong, more incompletely. We need to incorporate it dynamically to test against several divisors since we need to rule out all that could apply. This is a brute force program we're writing here so focus on how to test if 17 or 31 are prime and don't focus on 2 for now. The steps give you a range for your loop which is more than adequate for the brute force task.

if x % n == 0: return False

would be a line to look at and fashion into your solution.

Ok so I added what you told me to add and now the code goes to 9 but thinks that 9 is a prime number. I know this is the first odd number it comes across that isn't a prime number. So I don't know how to tell the program to test if the odd numbers have any other factor than 1 and themselves. Thanks for the help.

def is_prime(x):
if x > 2:
for n in range(2, x - 1):
if x % n == 0:
return False
elif x < 2:
return False
else:
return True
elif x == 2:
return True
else:
return False
print is_prime(9)

Should be at the top of the code so it doesn't have to be repeated.

if x < 2: return False
for n in range(2, x):
    # if line shown above
return True

Note there are no elif or else.

I have updated my code and somehow 2 returns none, also when I change the range from (2, x) to (1, x) 9 returns false.
def is_prime(x):
if x <= 1:
return False
else:
for n in range(1, x):
if x % n == 0:
return False
elif x == 2:
return True
else:
return True
print is_prime(9)

We would not include 1 in the range since everything is divisible by 1 whether Prime or not. The range starts at 2.

Consider that when we return from an if statement, we do not need an else.

if x < 2: return False
for ...

return True

As we can see, if x is less than 2 we exit the function. If not, then we can procede directly to the loop with range(2, x). When x == 2 the loop does not run. 2 drops down to the last line, return True. This means we do not need to test if x == 2.

So I reformatted the code again and got rid of some things I don't think I needed but 4 fails and I'm pretty sure it thinks every number 2 and up is a prime number.
def is_prime(x):
if x < 2:
return False
for n in range(2, x):
if x % n == 0:
return False
else:
return True
return True
print is_prime(9)

Remove these lines. There should be no else: branch in the if statement`.

Thank you so much for helping. I realized after that the issue was a simple indentation with the for loop. Again much gratitude for all the help you gave me.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.