Is_prime

I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic of this test. In my head I'm trying to see if x is greater than 2 so it filters the numbers less than 2 and gives me the ones greater to test. Then to see if x is only divisible itself and 1 I find is hard to write. Also wouldn't "for n in x:" be correct, why the range when I've told it I need numbers greater than 2. Very sorry for my labyrinth of stupidity, I'm trying to apply the problem that's in my head into Python,

def is_prime(x):
    if x < 2:
        return False
    elif x > 2:
        return True
    for n in range(2, x):
        if x / x and x / 1:
            return True
        else:
            return False

A function ends the moment a return keyword is reached. so your function ends pretty early

recommendation: just get rid of elif x is greater then 2 and return True

now, 13 is a prime number. For our program to determine 13 is a prime number we need to divide 13 by all numbers in range 2 till 12 (inclusive):

13 / 2
13 / 3
13 / 11
13 / 12

If for all this cases the remainder doesn't equal zero, the number is a prime number, and True should be returned

remember the modulo operator? You could use it here

def is_prime(x):
    if x < 2:
        return False
    else: 
        return True
    for n in range(2, x):
        if x % n == 0:
            return False
        else:
            return True

My function doesn't end on the first False return, right?

It fails on (4).

much better, but still some improvments needed

def is_prime(x):
    if x < 2:
        return False
    else: 
        return True

a function ends the moment a return keyword is reached, so the above code is what currently executes, the loop is never reached

when i said this, i meant it. Get rid of it, don't replace it with else return True. We have determined the number is actually a prime number. We have a if condition to check for numbers lowers then 2 because those can't be prime numbers, but after that, we should have our loop

now your loop, given a function ends the moment a return keyword is reached, so your function ends in the first run/iteration of your loop

But a number is only a prime number if the loop finishes running (this won't happen False is returned), so you want to place return True outside your loop

def is_prime(x):
    if x < 2:
        return False
    for n in range(2, x):
        if x % n == 0:
            return False
    return True

This worked.

Returning False is establishing the statement and returning True is closing them. Would this be right?

If I added print statements to those returns and gave x say, a value of 13, it would print True and show that the loop works.

what? When the if condition is evaluate to False, the function ends as it should given the number is not a prime number

if a number is a prime number, it finishes running the loop, and then sees return True

Sorry I'm getting confused.

When you say it sees return True does it say in the console: "True", it comes up as "None" for me.

So what is telling it that it is a prime number

a function only executes when called, if you want to see if a number is prime number, call the function with the number of which you want to know if its a prime number

with the range 2 to x, what is the last number it reaches?

range() does not include its stop value, so the last value reached is x - 1 (so lets say x=13, the last number ran by the loop is 12

x wasn't defined yet it gave me errors for finding out that is_prime(4) etc wasn't returning, where was the number 4 coming from?

well, the exercise calls the function mutliply times to validate your function works correctly. so is_prime(4) is a test case by the exercise

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.