Is_prime - My code seems long!

Hi

I have completed the exercise with the code below which I came up with. It is the result of some experimentation but I understand it. However looking on the forum some of the code people come up with look so short!

Is there anything I am doing which could be done more efficiently?

Thanks

def is_prime(x):
    if x < 2:
        return False
    elif x == 2:
        return True
    elif x%2==0:
        return False
    else:
        prime = True
        for n in range(2,x-1):
            if x % n != 0 and prime ==True:
                prime = True
            else:
                prime = False

return prime

this code indeed seems a bit lengthy. without making it super complicated here is how you could reduce, first lets catch numbers which are lower then 2, since they are all not prime numbers:

def is_prime(x):
   if x < 2:
      return False

right, that is simple. now we could already start looping over the values:

def is_prime(x):
   if x < 2:
      return False
   for n in range(2,x):

i don't use -1 here, given range() will not include the stop values. so x is not included, only values lesser then x, so need to do minus 1

now we could simply check if the number is not a prime by checking if the remainder equals zero:

def is_prime(x):
   if x < 2:
      return False
   for n in range(2,x):
      if x % n == 0:
          return False

A function ends the moment a return keyword is reached, so if now one the values between 2 and x has a remainder of zero, False is returned, the function ends. Which is right, given once a remainder is zero, the number is not a prime number

so the only way for a number to be a prime number is after the loop finished running, so all we than have to do is simply return True:

def is_prime(x):
   if x < 2:
      return False
   for n in range(2,x):
      if x % n == 0:
          return False
   return True

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. You explained that brilliantly - hopefully going forward I can think more efficiently.

The question by microslaver36410 highlighted that I also definitely need to become more code efficient.

Unfortunately I have a problem with the solution as when I use the solution provided, the code says that it fails on is_prime(2) due to it returning False when it should return True. If I say elif x == 2: return True, then it says that it fails on is_prime(3) due to it returning False. Due to these fail statements this is why I created my code:.

def is_prime(x):

if x > 3:
        count = 0
        for n in range(2, x-1):
            if x % n == 0:
                count += 1
            else:
                count = count
        if count > 0:
            return False
        else:
            return True

elif x == 3 or x == 2:
        return True
    else:
        return False

Can you please explain to me why:

def is_prime(x):
   if x < 2:
      return False
   for n in range(2,x):
      if x % n == 0:
          return False
   return True

doesn't work?

my solution:

def is_prime(x):
   if x < 2:
      return False
   for n in range(2,x):
      if x % n == 0:
          return False
   return True

does work, right?

Super sorry, when I tried it earlier it didn't work, but it does indeed work now.
I will remove my reply as it will confuse others looking at the site.
What frustrates me is that when I read your solution, it made perfect sense that it should work, that is why I tested it. And when I got the fail response, I couldn't understand why.
But I have just run the code again, and now there seems to be no problem at all.

sometimes, your browser might send cached data, that might be confusing.

And here is the big problem: reading my solution make perfect sense, now try to build it.

There is a difference between coding and programming, and codecademy mostly focus on coding.

Yeah, I've just been back to the python window to see if the code I input earlier worked now due to maybe the browser causing an issue, and it failed again with the same comment.
I then wrote the code out word for word, and it failed again with the same comment
But the code I just copied from your response now and pasted, that worked.
I think it has something to do with the indentation as this latest one is slightly off the set indentation.

What's even more frustrating is that I had written code almost similar to your answer, and it gave me the same reply about failing on is_prime(2) and is_prime(3). Hence me going on the long-winded route to ensure that it passed those two.

I had to look up the difference between the two as even though I am married to a software developer, I didn't think that programming and coding were different. But I see that they are and I agree that right now I'm only being taught coding. Which is fine by me as I have been trying to learn Java for a while, but never quite grasped the concept of lists and dictionaries (arrays)... once I have the coding knowledge, I want to learn how to use it to do programming which will involve practice using code to build a solution as well as practice editing code to make it more efficient.

okay, but it works now? and you understand why it works?

the tricky bit with my code is is_prime(2), because the if statement is false, so it continues to the for loop: for n in range(2,2) no steps can be taken, so it moves on, and finds return True.

oh they are, but you can start with coding, and then move on to programming.

Sounds like a good plan :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.