Is_int

Can someone explain why my code is wrong??
I know its long but it sure does work right?
Thnx!

def is_int(x):
    if x>0:
        if x-(round(x))>0:
            return True
        else:
            return False
    else:
        if x-(round(x))>0:
            return False
        else:
            return True
print is_int(-87.88)

round() is not always the floor value, but could go up as well. It's called the 5/4 rule. Up on 5, down on 4.

The simplest way to confirm an integer, or at least a float with no decimal fraction, is to use the modulo operator and 1

if x % 1 != 0: return False

Don't use two `elses its better to use elif. This probably isn't going to help

The use of nested if's is alright. However the OP code is complicated, repetitive and can give false positives.

Consider,

if x>0:
        # code
    else:
        # code

Is it necessary to check the sign on a number to determine if it is an integer? Answer: No, it is not. The sign has no bearing on an integer (or float with .0)

Now consider this code:

if x-(round(x))>0:
            return True
        else:
            return False

Let x = 11.5 so that round(x) = 12. The above returns False, which is true.

Let x = 11.4 so that round(x) = 11. The above returns True, which is a false positive.

However, just this structure is enough code to do the job once we sort out the false positive. We don't need a huge structure, especially given that both main cases contain exact same code.

return False if x - round(x) != 0 else True

Now it doesn't matter if rounding is up or down.

As indicated in the earflier post, we don't need a function in this evaluation since we can use the modulo operator.

return x % 1 == 0

More particularly, if we wish to trap illegal inputs:

def is_int(n):
    try:
        return n % 1 == 0
    except:
        return "Type Error"

Numbers will pass the try expression, non-numbers will fail, and follow the exception branch.

what if i enter a string? how can python see the difference?

Python will raise an exception if we try to perfom a math operation on a non-number. We trap that with the except branch and prevent a fatal error from occuring.