Is codecademy a hoax?

I’ve been learning python on codecademy maybe a week now and everything I’ve learned on it hasn’t worked when trying it on anything but the one that codecademy has built in. I just don’t get it but there’s nowhere else to go. I don’t have money to pay for lessons online so for the moment I’m quite stuck. Slim Select Keto

To answer the question in the title, no, it is not. Code that works here should work elsewhere, too. Just be sure that the version of IDE you are using matches the CC lesson you are working on. Much of the earlier Python material has been based on Python 2 which differs from Python 3 only slightly, but in none-backward-compatible ways.

Python 2           Python 3

print something  =>  print(something)
-- construct--        -- function--

raw_input()      =>  input()

print range()    =>  print(list(range()))

and so on.

You can get practice on your own machine with the free Python IDE called IDLE which can be downloaded from python.org. It might be simpler to first get your feet wet playing around in a sandbox. repl.it is free and offers both Python 2 and Python 3 environments. Create an account and practice the lessons in that workspace if you don’t want to mess up your finished lessons. The IDE is fairly similar to CC’s but offers a lot more flexibility, including the Python command line. The workspace is auto-saved so be sure to give each project a title and description so you can find it again.

I use sublime text. it all works fine for me.

The non-pro Python is Python 2. Python currently is on 3.7.1. With Pro however, you can get Python 3 and it work on more things.

I hope this helps =)

In truth they both do about the same thing, only with slight differences. The process of ideating an algorithm and then expressing it in working code is the same for both, if not all languages. They differ in syntax, is all.

Thanks @mtf for clarifying what I said.

Python 3 will work on more things currently than Python 2 however.

For most people this will not matter. But if writing code at 80wpm this may be a problem. Depends on the The use case.

That’s not writing code, but data entry. If writing code was a race, it would be a different story. If the concern is how fast code can be entered then that’s a hacker’s race, not ours. From a pure coding perspective, typing speed is of no concern.

You may be 10000000000% correct. I’m not super experienced. I’m just saying that for example: if I’m writing media queries in CSS3 (I think that’s what they are called) and I learned on CSS2 it’s going to severely slow me down. Or if I learned on CSS1 I may not be knowledgeable enough to write them at all.

YES if you actually learn how to really write code (Planning, Work Algorithms by hand, Get an actual design experience) The problem would be minimalized or non-existent. But if your a super newbie and totally skipped taking any debugging courses (Like the vast amount of Web developers in my area) and try to race through the more…menial tasks, This may be a problem. That’s all I’m saying. But I appreciate where you’re coming from.

Some people are super fast learners. They see the abstract where others of our like would not. I’ve known some of them. They are amazing at how quickly they grasp and continue to infer more and more insight. A joy to behold, but rare, making it all the more joyful to be in the midst of genius.

We, most of us, are bound to stumble on the most basic of things and only after a time begin to see abstracts of our ideas and ways to extend them. This is what to expect from one’s self. Not leaps and bounds, but baby steps.

How many times did we walk from one chair to the next to build up our confidence and ability? I watched my niece push a footstool around for days before she got up the courage to walk without it.

We should see it in this light. Push the footstool around for a few days and get the lay of the land, and understanding of the physics (lol) and a better grasp of one’s own ability at that point. Learning is a series of plateaus, not steps. We need to be fully aware of one plateau before jumping to the next. The steps are the miles we wander upon each plateau before embarking upon the next.

That’s a great statement.

And that from a Piled high and dry philosopher.

Wow, a Ph.D. Impressive.

Not really, but my wife says I should have one.

True. But the difference between Knowledge and Wisdom Come into play. Someone may have Great Knowledge, But only with the wisdom, as individuals like yourself have, is knowledge valuable.

This is off the thread topic, but I appreciate what you’re saying so I felt the need to reply hahaha.

I’ll split it off to a new topic. Let it make what sense to others as it may…

Then we can talk. How’s that?

Sure Either way. I was just leaving an explanation so as not to upset the mods.

The mods know who I am.

They don’t know who I am. Well your a mod, but the other mods, On Other Forums I have been on, the Rules Were Very Strict.

The discussion is clear, though.