Is anyone else soo tired

Coding is so hard. Learning it and understanding it is so hard. I feel like giving up and I just started. Does anyone else feel like this? Lke you are incompetent or not smart enough to make this a career?

3 Likes

Learning anything new that you are not familiar with…Does take time!

Create an schedule of activities: take notes of some of your classes, review said notes, and turn them into questions such a quizes and test yourself and give long form answers.

Become an active obejct-oriented student in whatever class you decide to take, so you get experience at recognizing the Syntax of the language you are learning, take as many notes as you possibly can and review them often.
Download a text editor, a code checker and a browser: So you can start doing your own version of what you are learning both passively and actively.

Keep Challenging yourself…and enjoy the ride!

5 Likes

Thank you so much for the helpful notes. I will give them a try!
Apart from W3C, what other code checkers can I use?

It’s tiring, frustrating, etc. That’s normal.
Peruse the forums and you will find some solidarity with other learners who have expressed the same sentiment:

Not sure what language you’re studying, but have a set amount of time each day to study and when that time is up, you’re done for the day. Learn to take breaks, write your own code/tweak the examples in the lessons, read the documentation, check StackOverflow and similar sites when you’re stuck. It’s unfair to tell yourself that you should be completely fluent in what is essentially a foreign language in a small amount of time. It’s akin to training for a marathon. Should you expect to easily run 26.2 miles on the first day or first week? No. I’ve said this before (many times): learning to think computationally takes time, practice, and repetition.

Keep at it and don’t get discouraged. You’ll get there.

3 Likes

Greetings!
search online or peruse Youtube.com language Tutorials.

1 Like

It’s definitely hard. There’s no getting over that, but if you just keep at it, eventually things that made no sense to you become no-brainers. Think about what you’re able to do now vs where you started. How you attack problems has probably already started to shift. ■■■■ some days I think about real world problems within the framework of coding problem solving, but it comes from hours and hours of practice. You’ll get there, just keep it up!

1 Like

Hi there, I strongly believe we as Web developers should learn to find/spot mistakes in code by our own means as this will prove how knowledgeable we are in each programming language.

Starry-Sun

1 Like

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I will pin this in my notes.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. Feel better already

1 Like

Keep it up!
It is normal to meet difficulties that seem unsurmountable when starting a new subject that requires quite a different mindset from what you are used to. Most people go through this when engaging with coding for the first time as adults.
Six days is nothing, ease yourself gradually into the thing and be patient and persevere: it will pay off.
You are plenty intelligent enough in general which means you are plenty intelligent enough to code, you just need to get accustomed to the new methodology and tell yourself you are not alone (and don’t let others tell you otherwise).

1 Like

What language are you attempting that causing you to feel this way?

I started with Python, but I would recommend others to start with JS or Swift as a first language.

I didn’t start learnign till I was in my 40’s and am I glad I didnt give up. I hope you don’t either…

1 Like

Certainly there are many factors that contribute to the challenge of learning a new skill (in this case a language).
“Language”… I just said it. So now think about that: learning any new language is not easy. Syntax alone is unique, despite some commonality of programming languages.

The time committed to learning is important. Distractions are worse for some people. Some have heavier workloads outside of studying. Some have families to take care of. Some are stressed out by external factors of their lives.

So many variables at play, you must work through them and prioritize.

One thing that can’t be overlooked though is a minimum but substantial desire to learn, as well as a specific interest in programming. If these two elements are missing, it will be further challenging.

I tried starting this journey 12 years ago! And I would pick up books, start online classes, then stop for several months, if not a year or so. For me, it wasn’t a lack of interest, but more of time and energy as I am now in my 50s trying to do this. While I don’t have a family to support, I did end up quitting my full-time job in order to go 100% in (saved money for 10 years to buy a house only to be outbid and pushed out of the market is the only reason I can take a break from working), as most CS coursework requires quite a bit of time and practice to become proficient. The road is long and there are no corners to cut.