Is 71 too old to start coding?

I want to, but I might be too old. I don’t think as fast as I used to also.

8 Likes

As you as you want to do it, go for it! Hope for the best!

8 Likes

On the contrary you have far more wisdom and experience than the rest of us when it comes to approaching problems and how to overcome them. I’d say go for it!

9 Likes

You’re not alone. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

It really depends on whether you think you’re too old or not. If you go into coding thinking “I’m probably too old for this and I’m not going to succeed”, then I can confidently say that you won’t succeed. I would say as long as you’re willing to put time into programming and try to understand what they’re saying in the lessons, you’ll be fine.

10 Likes

Even if you just start out with Scratch, your still learning JavaScript. IF you want to do coding, go for it! At the least give it a try!

10 Likes

So? You’ll just move at a slower pace. You said you want to, so go out there, and show the world you can.

6 Likes

Your never too old to start coding :wink:

6 Likes

Even Google agrees you can’t be too old

02%20PM

6 Likes

The only challenge we face in our autumnal phase of life is getting used to being in other’s rear-view mirror. I’m none too quick with learning new things but it doesn’t stop me from trying. Even scratching the surface is fulfilling enough if we gain insights and enjoy minimal success at completing tasks and developing ideas.

We may never be the lead on a major going concern but it is no reason to shy away from tinkering and exploring. I’m not sure how many of us 60-plus members exist on the boards, but there are a few. What we bring to the table is guidance and a different point of view. I fully expect every learner to speed past me in short order if they apply themselves. Trick is to not let their advancement look like our failure. I’m happy to help, if only for a moment and then wave as they zoom by.

12 Likes

Thanks for the positive answers, especially @mtf and @oduffy. I’ll start coding in a simple language first. Any suggestions?

7 Likes

Try Python. Most everyone says its simple. Glad you’re giving it a try. :smiley:

6 Likes

Simple is kind of a relative term when it comes to computer languages. If you have zero prior experience with coding, I would highly recommend starting with https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-how-to-code
This teaches some basic coding principles in a pseudo code that resembles JavaScript. Once you have that down, then you might dabble in Ruby, Python or whatever else interests you. Good luck && happy coding!

8 Likes

ah man this is awesome! I would like to hear back from you in a few weeks to know how it’s going and what’s your thoughts :slight_smile:

Ps. I think you think through whatever you are doing thus you won’t make hasty decisions, I think that would assist you :green_heart:

11 Likes

I’m over halfway with learn how to code. It takes me a few times to get 100% with the quizzes, but I’m making progress. I’m doing a lesson or two every two or three days. I’m currently doing a house repair that is taking a while. I’ve also somehow earned ‘Member’ here in the forums now.

9 Likes

Probably never admitted this before but I do Sudoku on the throne everyday. It helps me assess where my mental acuteness is that day. Solve an Expert puzzle and feel confident that day. Get snarled, and feel a bit less so. Never discouraged, though. They are after all, Expert puzzles.

10 Likes

We carry in skills we didn’t know we had, or are not fully aware of, either way…

10 Likes

Glad to hear, keep it up!

7 Likes

Don’t worry. I don’t always get 100% first try either. We all learn from our mistakes. That’s what makes us a better coder.

6 Likes

I have about 6 puzzles and try to do 4 at random each ‘morning’.

• My sudoku is much lower-level than yours so it’s more a test of dexterity and focus.
  • A low-level chess that doesn’t always do the same thing from the same positions
  • 6 “Go” puzzles; 2 easy, 2 medium and 2 hard. One day i hope to do both mediums without hints
  • a game of Go on a fairly small board at 6 kyu rating
  • backgammon
  • chess puzzles that alter my rating and then give an appropriate level of next puzzle (this is tough because it’s highly addictive)

If i manage to get out of bed before doing 3 then that is a win for energy levels. I tend to find that on days i do unexpectedly badly on 1 of them i do a lot better on another. If my sudoku is slower then it’s usually because i’ve “been meditating” or planning, honest guv.

The problem i had been having was starting one of them and then being unable to quit. Sometimes hours and hours would go by with me being unable to break away. It’s partly an aspie thing but some other people have that trait for other reasons. Making it into just one part of a series makes it easier for me to quit and move on.

Regards from a t0m :slight_smile:

8 Likes