Interesting behaviors when rotationForce is sufficiently small

Hey there, I notice some interesting behaviors when rotationForce is sufficiently small. At 0.045 for example, (when mouseResponseThreshold is set to something reasonable, and friction is 0.75) the bubbles don’t seem to experience rotation. Instead they sort of vibrate or wiggle in some semi-random fashion.

But … when I increase friction to, say, 0.85, then you can see a clear rotation pattern.

This seems a bit counterintuitive to me. Wouldn’t an increase of friction (other variables kept the same) cause less rotation, less wiggling, and more stabilization? I know this is about the physics instead of the code itself, but on some level if we’re trying to achieve an effect (or in the case of learning this stuff - understand what’s happening), I figure it’s relevant.

What’s the deal here? Something to do with achieving escape velocity? How?

Thanks!

Hello,

When completing this exercise I set the Friction variable to = 1, up from it’s starting value of 0.85. When friction is set to 1, the bubbles that make up the text continuously bounce around the visual panel. However when it is set lower, the bubbles do manage to return to their starting position.

This is the section I am referring to;

// This variable controls how strongly the dots will try to return to their starting position
friction = 1;

EDIT: I have actually found a similair result when altering the value of RotationForce from 0.0 to 0.05. The bubbles will continue to rotate before eventually moving off screen. However, when they begin rotating the bubbles still fit perfectly on screen. Why do they continue to rotate and eventually move off screen?

This is the slice of code I am referring to;

// This variable controls how much the dots will rotate when interacting
rotationForce = 0.05;

Thanks