Codecademy Forums

Intensive courses

Python 2 is very old. Python currently is on 3.7.1 so Python 2 isn’t really nessasary. But do try to do an Intensive if you can @ralep!

3 Likes

Thanks! I guess, I’ll give it a try then

2 Likes

Just to let you know:
I enrolled in the course, but besides the capstone project and the certificate, it IS the same.
I got nearly everything checked in the intense course, before it even started.

3 Likes

Oh jeez. Well I guess congrats? sorry for the false info :frowning:

4 Likes

No problem. I just cancelled the enrollment :wink:

4 Likes

Haha, this is hilarious. I’ve been talking to management on why they don’t offer certificates for the normal courses. Guess it’s because they want that paper.

3 Likes

Hey @ralep, thanks for bringing your questions here, and I’m sorry you had to go through the process of purchasing and cancelling. Not so fun.

I think this is a good learning experience for the team, though. Would a certificate at the end of the Intensive been really helpful to you, you think? We’re compiling all this feedback now.

3 Likes

I want to use the knowledge of the courses for my own business, so it’s not nescessary for me to get a certificate, but of course I see the advantages of an intensive course (like working together instead of alone).

In my opinion there are some intensive courses, where you get more than just the advantage of working together and the certificate. For example “Build Websites from Scratch”, because you learn how to combine HTML, CSS and Javascript here. You learn something there, that you can use right after the course in your job or for your business.

That’s what I’m missing at the Python Intensive Course. I thought the intensive course would go a bit deeper additionally to the basic.

Thank you very much for replying here. You and the codecademy team are doing an awesome job here.
I’m looking forward for an intensive course regarding another programming language.

6 Likes

Python can be fast, but think of it this way: you can have 90% of your code base written in Python and the rest 10% written in C or C++, then wrapped around with Cython. This will be wayyyyyy faster than writing 100% of your code in C or C++, and from an industrial perspective, this is much much better than anything that other languages can make.

Python is slow as balls, but it’s still extremely versatile and if you can’t make an application fast enough or meet your requirements given enough time without having to change your entire code base, then you have failed as a programmer. Python isn’t the best tool for everything, but that’s not the point of the programmer.

In data structures and algorithms, you don’t find something that fixes all problems, you find one that fixes your problem. It’s just that more often than not, it’s Python that fix your problem time and time again

2 Likes

I hope, you didn’t get me wrong. I like Python very much and I’ll stick to it (with the pro course), but I want to learn other languages as well besides Python.

2 Likes

To answer your question quite simply… Yes, an Intensive certificate is definitely helpful. More authentic to use on a platform like LinkedIn than a badge. Employers believe in both skill and certified employees. And badges aren’t all too respected. So certificates will help a lot as a strong support to the project portfolio. With both combined, you have no idea how confident us students would be in the job market.

2 Likes

@codesurrfer btw you are just a little bit late :smiley:

Its actually kinda annoying cause I wanted to take one of those :frowning:

1 Like

Hey @stevencopeland, I hear you. You were not alone in that! The team is really hoping, though, that with Skill Paths being oriented around a specific skill like an Intensive, but in a format that is more at-your-own-pace, you’ll still be able to get the education you want and expect.

To hopefully make it a little clearer: whereas Career Paths teach you in-depth foundational knowledge to help you jumpstart your career in web development, computer science, or data science, Skill Paths teach practical, specific skills that you can start using at your job immediately (e.g. data analysis with Python).

Does that help at all?

2 Likes

huh. That sounds really cool! I’m probably going to try out pro once the school year ends, so I’m really looking forward to trying these new paths out. If I’m correct, you get them with pro right?

2 Likes

That is correct! And I’m looking forward to hearing what you think of them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll be sure to tell you anything that I feel could be improved!

2 Likes

Well @alyssavigil, Skill Paths sound cool. And I’m going to start one next week. Although, I must say, you guys should have kept the name ‘Pro Intensive’, even if you changed the way it was offered. It was Soo so marketable. Had a friend who took one, and his employers agreed he was the one who built his portfolio just cuz the name reflected how much sacrifice he had put in. It drove me to want one. So, I love the idea of Skill Paths, it’s a better way to do Pro Intensives, definitely, but it should have kept the name. It made codeacademy sound more legitimate as an institution. I take paid courses on Udacity. And when I saw Pro Intensives, I thought it was a better looking certificate to have behind me in the job market. I hope you guys consider keeping the name I guess. I’m a fan.

2 Likes

@stevencopeland I know… I’m so late, it makes me sad. Although I’m not sure how much of a difference it would have made. I think they were set in their mind to go with the name change.

1 Like

Yeah… I was hoping to do one over the summer. But maybe I can do these new paths instead! They are a lot cheaper.

2 Likes

The intensive course is an entirely different level of experience, but also effort.

1 Like