Integrating JS feeling lost

Career path: Front end development.
Stage: Portfolio Project: Personal Portfolio Website (HTML, CSS, JavaScript)

So far we went though HTML, CSS, JavaScript 1, JS 2. At the end of JS2 the projects were quite a jump for beginners that just finished theory with a little bit of practice. I didn’t really get why not make more practice projects before you get there, but hey…

Here I am now after these steps, facing this project and I don’t know how to integrate, what to integrate of JavaScript in this project. I feel JavaScript 1 and 2 chapters don’t help me much now, so what is the purpose if I can’t work practically with it?

The solution project uses the time stamp, and that’s it. The time stamp was in one of the lessons. Is that it?
What other resources can we use to practice with real life projects?
I really think it is very thin what codecademy offers so far to narrow the gap from theory to practice.

Hi,
have you already done the Mini Linter project from the JS modules? I think it is a very good practice to refactor it so you can create the string by typing a message into a form field on a webpage and after hitting the submit button, all the stats and the betterWords text show up. That way, you get to practice JS integration into HTML/CSS and you get a feeling of what JS can be useful for in practice.

Hello Mirja,
thank you for taking the time to comment. it helps. yes, I remember the mini linter. I’m sure that for an experienced developer this may sound very dumb, but even if I understand that it can be used in an HTML form to limit the number of characters allowed, as seen in many web pages. I can’t connect the dots how to use this example and others in hands on practice…a project.

1 Like

I just reviewed the Syllabus of the Frontend path and saw that the Personal Portfolio Project is quite far ahead in the path. So you’ve already done a lot of practice projects including JS integration, forms and many pure JS projects. So I’m having difficulties to understand which link exactly it is you miss. Can you explain further?

I also read posts by other users who complained about a lot of repetition in the path (which I don’t think), but taking both statements into account, I think they found a good mix. You can extend the path by redoing some projects (you’ll see that the further you’ve come in the path, the more you would refactor your code in some exercises).
The extension like the one of the Mini Linter can be done with many of the other JS projects as well which would give you a lot of extra practice. But the Mini Linter seems to be very well suited for that.