Installing IPython

The following lesson asks the reader to install IPython and then type in sample text, but there is no link provided for the IPython install. Additionally at ipython.org there are only references to Jupyter Notebook and its related applications.
https://www.codecademy.com/paths/data-science/tracks/dscp-python-fundamentals/modules/dscp-getting-started-off-platform/articles/introducing-jupyter-notebook

After some searching I did find the following:

The lesson should be updated for easy-to-follow installation instructions. Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you. You are a life-saver.

@novich0k,

Thanks for bringing this up!

After reading through the article, I can definitely see why you were confused about this.

IPython is actually included when you install Jupyter and it’s primarily used in Jupyter notebooks because that’s a nicer interface than in the terminal. However, once Jupyter is installed you can always use IPython in the terminal if you wish to do so.

Happy coding!

P.s., if you end up using IPython in the terminal, you can always get back to your regular command line by typing exit and then hitting Enter.

1 Like

Thank you for posting this, I’ve been driving myself mad trying to figure this out myself!

I’d like to add another question to the thread as I’m also having difficulties. I’ve downloaded Python and am trying to install Jupyter Labs. The instructions say to install using PIP but I don’t seem to have the ability to do so. I’ve tried using Python 3.8 and 3.9, which should have PIP included according to the documentation, but following guides to verify PIP installation tells me that I don’t have PIP installed for some reason as nothing I’ve tried has been able to verify that it exists on my machine.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Does anyone have resources that they could link that might help me? I’m completely new to coding and most of what I’ve found has been far over my head, geared toward users who are coming from other languages and are already familiar with terminology and how things work.

@jjman291, pip has been included with Python since version 3.4, so if you are using Python 3.8 or 3.9 you should definitely have it. Can you please provide a link to the article that has you confused?

Also, how did you download your Python versions? From python.org, or through Anaconda/Miniconda?

1 Like

The instructions in this article are the ones that I’ve tried so far:

I’ve tried the steps for checking if pip is installed and verifying my python installation. The python installation verification did not function. Instead of displaying the verification message it opened the Windows store to the Python 3.8 page. I can call python with “py” in windows cmd prompt and it will display the verification message properly.

When trying the first step to check if pip is already installed I’m met with the following error message:

Not going to lie, I feel like I somehow got skipped forward over a few critical lessons or that I’ve somehow missed something in the previous lessons. The previous lessons that I’ve been doing have been easily understood and the knowledge builds upon itself well. I reviewed the previous lessons to see if I’d missed anything but I’m at a loss on where I could’ve done so.

Alright, it looks like you are using Python 3.9. In that case, pip is already installed.

The reason you are not seeing anything when you type pip help is that you are not typing pip help in the command prompt, you are typing it in to the interactive Python REPL.

Now, did you ever actually install Python yourself?

1 Like

I wondered if that was possibly the issue. When using the windows command prompt I receive the following error message:

I’m confused about your question. To the best of my knowledge, yes, I have installed python. I’ve downloaded and installed v3.9 several times and also tried v3.8 when I saw that it was what was supported on the windows store. The downloads I have installed have come from Python.org:

and I have downloaded the Windows x86-64 executable installer

Perhaps I’m not understanding what you mean when you ask if I have installed Python myself.

1 Like

Okay, I was just double checking because you hadn’t answered my earlier question about where you downloaded it from. Sometimes Python comes pre-installed with the operating system and I wanted to make sure you weren’t using that Python.

Now, it seems the likely problem is that the script to run pip is not in your PATH. When you are installing Python on Windows, I believe there is usually a checkbox during one of the steps that allows the installer to add Python to the path automatically.

If you don’t do that, you will have to add the location of Python and its scripts to your PATH yourself.

To do that, type “environment” in the Windows search bar and select “Edit the system environment variables”:

Then click on the “Environment Variables…” button at the bottom of the window:

The new window will contain sections for user variables and system variables.
In the User Variables section, scroll down until you see one called “Path”. Double-click on that.

A window called “Edit environment variable” will pop up. Click the “New” button and add the path to your Python version, then add the path to its scripts.

It should look something like this:

The top path is to the Scripts folder that holds the pip executable, and the bottom path is to the Python{version_number} folder that holds the Python executable.

If you don’t know where your version of Python is installed, type the command where python into CMD. For Python 3.9 it is usually located at:

• C:\Users\{your_user_name}\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39-32 or at
  • C:\Python39

Once the paths to the Python folder and the Scripts folder are added, just hit Ok and you are done. You will have to restart the command prompt before it will recognize this change though.

Let me know if this helps!

1 Like

Apologies for the late reply as I was traveling.

The issue was just as you described. Once I checked the box to add PATH the problem was solved.

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

At this point in the career path we have not installed Jupiter yet. The best place to add more instructions would be the chapter “command-line interface setup”. (It currently instructs mac users to not install anything and just use the Terminal, meaning we won’t have IPython installed).