Installation failed during testing POSTMAN API when i ran npm install

Hi all,

I am currently at https://www.codecademy.com/paths/full-stack-engineer-career-path/tracks/fscp-build-a-back-end-with-node-express-js/modules/fscp-learn-express-routes/articles/setting-up-postman.

when i cd into the example_backend folder and ran npm install, the following appeared :

$ npm install

[email protected] install /Users/erictan86/Documents/example_backend/node_modules/sqlite3
node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build

node-pre-gyp WARN Using request for node-pre-gyp https download
node-pre-gyp WARN Tried to download(403): https://mapbox-node-binary.s3.amazonaws.com/sqlite3/v4.1.1/node-v83-darwin-x64.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp WARN Pre-built binaries not found for [email protected] and [email protected] (node-v83 ABI, unknown) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp)
No receipt for ā€˜com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executablesā€™ found at ā€˜/ā€™.

No receipt for ā€˜com.apple.pkg.DeveloperToolsCLILeoā€™ found at ā€˜/ā€™.

No receipt for ā€˜com.apple.pkg.DeveloperToolsCLIā€™ found at ā€˜/ā€™.

gyp: No Xcode or CLT version detected!
gyp ERR! configure error
gyp ERR! stack Error: gyp failed with exit code: 1
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onCpExit (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/configure.js:351:16)
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:315:20)
gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:277:12)
gyp ERR! System Darwin 19.6.0
gyp ERR! command ā€œ/usr/local/bin/nodeā€ ā€œ/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.jsā€ ā€œconfigureā€ ā€œā€“fallback-to-buildā€ ā€œā€“module=/Users/erictan86/Documents/example_backend/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/binding/node-v83-darwin-x64/node_sqlite3.nodeā€ ā€œā€“module_name=node_sqlite3ā€ ā€œā€“module_path=/Users/erictan86/Documents/example_backend/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/binding/node-v83-darwin-x64ā€ ā€œā€“napi_version=7ā€ ā€œā€“node_abi_napi=napiā€ ā€œā€“napi_build_version=0ā€ ā€œā€“node_napi_label=node-v83ā€
gyp ERR! cwd /Users/erictan86/Documents/example_backend/node_modules/sqlite3
gyp ERR! node -v v14.15.1
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v5.1.0
gyp ERR! not ok
node-pre-gyp ERR! build error
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack Error: Failed to execute ā€˜/usr/local/bin/node /usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js configure --fallback-to-build --module=/Users/erictan86/Documents/example_backend/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/binding/node-v83-darwin-x64/node_sqlite3.node --module_name=node_sqlite3 --module_path=/Users/erictan86/Documents/example_backend/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/binding/node-v83-darwin-x64 --napi_version=7 --node_abi_napi=napi --napi_build_version=0 --node_napi_label=node-v83ā€™ (1)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess. (/Users/erictan86/Documents/example_backend/node_modules/node-pre-gyp/lib/util/compile.js:83:29)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:315:20)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:1048:16)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:288:5)
node-pre-gyp ERR! System Darwin 19.6.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! command ā€œ/usr/local/bin/nodeā€ ā€œ/Users/erictan86/Documents/example_backend/node_modules/.bin/node-pre-gypā€ ā€œinstallā€ ā€œā€“fallback-to-buildā€
node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd /Users/erictan86/Documents/example_backend/node_modules/sqlite3
node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v14.15.1
node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.11.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! not ok
Failed to execute ā€˜/usr/local/bin/node /usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js configure --fallback-to-build --module=/Users/erictan86/Documents/example_backend/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/binding/node-v83-darwin-x64/node_sqlite3.node --module_name=node_sqlite3 --module_path=/Users/erictan86/Documents/example_backend/node_modules/sqlite3/lib/binding/node-v83-darwin-x64 --napi_version=7 --node_abi_napi=napi --napi_build_version=0 --node_napi_label=node-v83ā€™ (1)
npm WARN [email protected] No repository field.

npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! [email protected] install: node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the [email protected] install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! /Users/erictan86/.npm/_logs/2021-02-12T02_05_16_059Z-debug.log

I have no idea how to debug this. Can anyone help? Thanks.

1 Like

Hello, and welcome back to the forums.

The downloaded projectā€™s package.json file calls for the use of sqlite3 version 4.1.1, but you have a newer version of node installed that isnā€™t fully supported with that sqlite3 version (Source). You can either use a newer version of sqlite3, downgrade your version of node, or use a node version manager to use an older version of node.

I suggest using a newer version of sqlite3. One way to do that is to run these commands from the projectā€™s directory:

npm uninstall sqlite3
npm install sqlite3

The first line removes the existing version and updates the package.json file to remove the reference to [email protected]

The second installs a newer version and updates package.json.

16 Likes

Thank you for helping.

1 Like

Hi, I have the same problem while installing npm. I followed your instruction but still canā€™t fix it. I tried to uninstalled sqlite3 and downloaded it but appears to be showing errors.

npm WARN deprecated [email protected]: Please upgrade to @mapbox/node-pre-gyp: the non-scoped node-pre-gyp package is deprecated and only the @mapbox scoped package will recieve updates in the future
npm WARN deprecated [email protected]: request has been deprecated, see https://github.com/request/request/issues/3142
npm WARN deprecated [email protected]: this library is no longer supported

> [email protected] install D:\Web Dev\Backend Test\example_backend\node_modules\sqlite3
> node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build

node-pre-gyp WARN Using request for node-pre-gyp https download
node-pre-gyp WARN Tried to download(403): https://mapbox-node-binary.s3.amazonaws.com/sqlite3/v5.0.1/napi-v6-win32-x64.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp WARN Pre-built binaries not found for [email protected] and [email protected] (node-v83 ABI, unknown) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp)
gyp ERR! find Python
gyp ERR! find Python Python is not set from command line or npm configuration
gyp ERR! find Python Python is not set from environment variable PYTHON
gyp ERR! find Python checking if "python" can be used
gyp ERR! find Python - "python" is not in PATH or produced an error
gyp ERR! find Python checking if "python2" can be used
gyp ERR! find Python - "python2" is not in PATH or produced an error
gyp ERR! find Python checking if "python3" can be used
gyp ERR! find Python - "python3" is not in PATH or produced an error
gyp ERR! find Python checking if the py launcher can be used to find Python 2
gyp ERR! find Python - "py.exe" is not in PATH or produced an error
gyp ERR! find Python checking if Python is C:\Python27\python.exe
gyp ERR! find Python - "C:\Python27\python.exe" could not be run
gyp ERR! find Python checking if Python is C:\Python37\python.exe
gyp ERR! find Python - "C:\Python37\python.exe" could not be run
gyp ERR! find Python
gyp ERR! find Python **********************************************************
gyp ERR! find Python You need to install the latest version of Python.
gyp ERR! find Python Node-gyp should be able to find and use Python. If not,
gyp ERR! find Python you can try one of the following options:
gyp ERR! find Python - Use the switch --python="C:\Path\To\python.exe"
gyp ERR! find Python   (accepted by both node-gyp and npm)
gyp ERR! find Python - Set the environment variable PYTHON
gyp ERR! find Python - Set the npm configuration variable python:
gyp ERR! find Python   npm config set python "C:\Path\To\python.exe"
gyp ERR! find Python For more information consult the documentation at:
gyp ERR! find Python https://github.com/nodejs/node-gyp#installation
gyp ERR! find Python **********************************************************
gyp ERR! find Python
gyp ERR! configure error
gyp ERR! stack Error: Could not find any Python installation to use
gyp ERR! stack     at PythonFinder.fail (D:\Node JS\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\find-python.js:307:47)
gyp ERR! stack     at PythonFinder.runChecks (D:\Node JS\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\find-python.js:136:21)
gyp ERR! stack     at PythonFinder.<anonymous> (D:\Node JS\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\find-python.js:225:16)
gyp ERR! stack     at PythonFinder.execFileCallback (D:\Node JS\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\find-python.js:271:16)
gyp ERR! stack     at exithandler (child_process.js:315:5)
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.errorhandler (child_process.js:327:5)
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:315:20)
gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:275:12)
gyp ERR! stack     at onErrorNT (internal/child_process.js:465:16)
gyp ERR! stack     at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:80:21)
gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 10.0.19042
gyp ERR! command "D:\\Node JS\\node.exe" "D:\\Node JS\\node_modules\\npm\\node_modules\\node-gyp\\bin\\node-gyp.js" "configure" "--fallback-to-build" "--module=D:\\Web Dev\\Backend Test\\example_backend\\node_modules\\sqlite3\\lib\\binding\\napi-v6-win32-x64\\node_sqlite3.node" "--module_name=node_sqlite3" "--module_path=D:\\Web Dev\\Backend Test\\example_backend\\node_modules\\sqlite3\\lib\\binding\\napi-v6-win32-x64" "--napi_version=7" "--node_abi_napi=napi" "--napi_build_version=6" "--node_napi_label=napi-v6"
gyp ERR! cwd D:\Web Dev\Backend Test\example_backend\node_modules\sqlite3
gyp ERR! node -v v14.15.4
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v5.1.0
gyp ERR! not ok
node-pre-gyp ERR! build error
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack Error: Failed to execute 'D:\Node JS\node.exe D:\Node JS\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js configure --fallback-to-build --module=D:\Web Dev\Backend Test\example_backend\node_modules\sqlite3\lib\binding\napi-v6-win32-x64\node_sqlite3.node --module_name=node_sqlite3 --module_path=D:\Web Dev\Backend Test\example_backend\node_modules\sqlite3\lib\binding\napi-v6-win32-x64 --napi_version=7 --node_abi_napi=napi --napi_build_version=6 --node_napi_label=napi-v6' (1)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (D:\Web Dev\Backend Test\example_backend\node_modules\node-pre-gyp\lib\util\compile.js:83:29)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:315:20)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:1048:16)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:288:5)
node-pre-gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 10.0.19042
node-pre-gyp ERR! command "D:\\Node JS\\node.exe" "D:\\Web Dev\\Backend Test\\example_backend\\node_modules\\node-pre-gyp\\bin\\node-pre-gyp" "install" "--fallback-to-build"
node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd D:\Web Dev\Backend Test\example_backend\node_modules\sqlite3
node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v14.15.4
node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.11.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! not ok
Failed to execute 'D:\Node JS\node.exe D:\Node JS\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js configure --fallback-to-build --module=D:\Web Dev\Backend Test\example_backend\node_modules\sqlite3\lib\binding\napi-v6-win32-x64\node_sqlite3.node --module_name=node_sqlite3 --module_path=D:\Web Dev\Backend Test\example_backend\node_modules\sqlite3\lib\binding\napi-v6-win32-x64 --napi_version=7 --node_abi_napi=napi --napi_build_version=6 --node_napi_label=napi-v6' (1)
npm WARN [email protected] No repository field.

npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! [email protected] install: `node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the [email protected] install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     C:\Users\gzkgt\AppData\Roaming\npm-cache\_logs\2021-02-15T02_44_57_707Z-debug.log
1 Like

Looks like thereā€™s an issue with the latest sqlite3 (5.0.1). Not sure if itā€™s specific to that version of node though. (Source)

You could try this instead:

npm uninstall sqlite3
npm install [email protected]
10 Likes

Thank you so much! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

This solution should really be added to the general instructions

8 Likes

Many thanks for helping!

This worked for me also, thank you!

Had the same issue. Your solution helped, thanks!

Thank you. I was not able to run my server until I did this.

Worked perfectly! Thanks so much.

This has helped me too! Thanks a lot!

Thank you! this was extremely helpful, clear and simultaneously educational!

Same errors as those aboveā€¦ resolved with sqlite3 unistall and install.

thank you! it worked

Thank you, it helped me too. :innocent: :heart_eyes:

This worked for me also. It would be great if you could update the curriculum page. Up till now, everything has gone perfectly for me thru the course - so well done. Iā€™m on Windows 10 x64. Thanks!

npm uninstall sqlite3
npm install [email protected]

Worked For Me Also! Thank you!

Thanks for this. I was getting an analogous error message for express so as well as uninstalling and reinstalling sqlite3 I did the same for express and it worked first time.