Important Changes to Codecademy Courses

The official statement: https://www.codecademy.com/blog/important-changes-to-codecademy-courses

26th is when the course will be moved over to a new interface, same course (progress could be effected)
Q1 2017: is when the course will be replaced with a new one… (old one removed, new one added)

2 Likes

I wonder what the main differences between Python 2 and 3 are?

1 Like

Read this to understand the key differences between the two,

Click Me!

3 Likes

The main reason for the update on the 26th is to get these language courses into our newer interface where they can be fixed and updated more frequently. That does necessitate a change in progress though, because the content doesn’t map 1-1 exactly in the newer system.

2 Likes

Just completed Python course 100% and I thank codecademy for such an excellent interface to work on! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Goodbye to Battleship! and Day at the Supermarket, to name but a few. And all the input along the way virtually nullifying the entire forum. Let’s see how this plays out, now.

3 Likes

Too bad Battleship is gone xD I never got to that lesson but I love the board game battleship so I always wanted to do it…oh well back to the board game i guess hehe

2 Likes

Maybe a silly question, but what does this actually mean?

Q4 2016 — PHP and Make an Interactive Website course sunsetting

They will no longer be supported on CodeAcademy? I ask because the calendar doesn’t mention any replacement. Sure, the PHP course has some annoying bugs at the beginning, but it’s better than nothing. :-/

3 Likes

@systemjumper55077

PHP and Make an Interactive website course will be removed…

Unfortunately at this time no mention of a replacement :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Weird… Python hasn’t updated yet … huh.

1 Like

Go to https://www.codecademy.com/learn/all

1 Like

Hello
how could we be sure you are still on the planning?
For example, is HTML and CSS updated? I don’t want to start a course that will erased my data soon (as it as already be done in the french version…)
Sabrina

1 Like

“September 28th — Learn HTML & CSS new course release”
Where is it? My progress has remained the same

1 Like

Good question, and I don’t know the answer at the moment. It was there when I was on last night but now it is gone again.

2 Likes

Here’s the links to the new courses:

Learn Ruby
Learn Python
Learn HTML & CSS: Part I
Learn JavaScript

They’re all currently at Preview stage so might still be a little quirky in places, and I would expect a bit more chopping and changing as the rollout continues.

And as I expected, here’s a quick message I got a few minutes ago:

Please note, our Ruby course is currently under construction. Our team of engineers is working to fix a few reported issues with a recent release to the updated learning environment.
We strongly encourage you move on from the Ruby Lessons, until issues are resolved.

3 Likes

So whats the point of transitioning Python and Ruby to the new interface if it’s the same course and it will be replaces within 3 months?

1 Like

The original blog post was updated yesterday to reflect some changes to the schedule.

Here is the updated schedule (with new information in bold) :

• September 30th — Python and Ruby transitioned to new interface; progress will be affected
  • October 5thLearn HTML & CSS and Learn JavaScript new course releases
  • October 19th — Learn jQuery new course release
  • Q4 2016 — Learn Ruby new course release
  • Q4 2016 — Learn Ruby on Rails new course release
  • Q4 2016 — PHP and Make an Interactive Website course sunsetting
  • Q1 2017 — Learn Python new course release

In summary, the Python and Ruby transitions have been pushed back until September 30; the new HTML & CSS course has been pushed back a week and will now be released on October 5th along with the new JavaScript course; and the new jQuery course has also been pushed back a week until October 19th.

3 Likes

bad for me…

these courses will have translation into Spanish?

I lost my progress and Curses in spanish…

Both hate me?

is my end :persevere:

1 Like

And another update today.

Here is the latest schedule (with new information in bold) :

• October 5th — Learn HTML & CSS and Learn JavaScript new course releases
  • October 19th — Learn jQuery new course release
  • Q4 2016 — Python and Ruby will be transitioned to new interface; progress will be affected
  • Q4 2016 — Learn Ruby new course release
  • Q4 2016 — Learn Ruby on Rails new course release
  • Q4 2016 — PHP and Make an Interactive Website course sunsetting
  • Q1 2017 — Learn Python new course release

So essentially, this week’s scheduled transition to the new interface for Python and Ruby looks like it’s been pushed back for a while, possibly for technical reasons or possibly to allow schools to continue teaching these courses for the rest of this semester.

Whatever the case, if you’re anything like me and want to complete these courses before they ride off into the sunset, better jump to it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thank you, zainabrawat!

Does anyone else have trouble with the old HTML & CSS completion reporting? Although finished long time ago, it pretty much refuses to acknowledge it in the Dashboard. Maybe it’s part of the transition to the new HTML & CSS course?

2 Likes