Important Changes to Codecademy Courses

There will still be a python course. This time around, Learn Python. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When will it come? I donā€™t want to wait till 2017 to learn Python

1 Like

I believe as soon as the old is taken down. :slight_smile: [Just like is done with JavaScript that now has Learn JavaScript running]

2 Likes

Oh Whew!! I feel so happy. What will change? Will the basics change or just the interface? Everything in it right now will stay right because hopefully nothing will get deleted only added (mostly)?

1 Like

Hahaā€¦ Still with reference to JavaScript and Learn JavaScript, I can say that the basics will be covered and yes, interface too. Things look updated/upgraded. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The old one is taken down tomorrow and until 2017 there will be no Python course according to the site

1 Like

I donā€™t think thatā€™s the complete interpretation. For instance, for JavaScript

October 5th ā€” Learn JavaScript new course release

Yet, I can say that Learn JavaScript is on the platform currently, but in review mode. I guess that will similarly happen to Python.

2 Likes

During review mode we will be able to acquire progress and once itā€™s october 5th hopefully the progress will still be there? I hope nothing huge will change in review mode

2 Likes

Same here. [I already completed the **Learn JavaScript**.]

1 Like

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate this as I was hurrying to finish Python because Codecademy is simple yet fulfilling compared to other coding sites and I didnā€™t want to lose this opportunity. You have put me at ease, so once again thank you for your help and thank you for taking your time in this very time consuming back and forth replying process.

2 Likes

@aaryan_batra @bayoishola20

Unfortunately after it has been replaced with new course the old courses will no longer be listed and the progress from user profile will not be shown :cry:

2 Likes

Errā€¦ Does this mean that even as I have completed Learn JavaScript, I will loose all? :wink:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s fine my main problem was that there would be No Python Course until 2017ā€¦ Losing my 20% progress isnā€™t a big deal for me at least if the new course will only add on to the old course not delete important concepts

1 Like

Just conforming with the CC staff, When I get a reply I will post here

3 Likes

Just to clear this up, when a new course goes live, the old course will be retired.

So when the new Python course is ready in Q1 2017, it will go live and the old version will be removed.

There wonā€™t be any gaps between now and when the new courses are released where you wonā€™t be able to access the old course.

6 Likes

Whew, will the new course only add material? Because it would suck if it would delete some of the basic material

1 Like

Thanks for info. when is it exactly going down? I read different posts everywhere. It reads, September 26 and also Q1 2017. Iā€™m confused and I was wondering if someone could help with the precise dates.

Iā€™m on 89% and this update date is scaring me a little.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is not adding material but actually replacing the old material. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So if the basics wonā€™t change what will? Isnā€™t the current course Python 3, what is there to update (just guessing I know you guys probably donā€™t know as well)

1 Like

The current one is in Python 2 that is part of the reason they are updating it . So there is a bunch of stuff to update seeing as when Python 3 was released they were a bunch of significant changes. :slight_smile:

3 Likes