I'm trying to add a video from my hard drive to my web page which is also on my hard drive

I found some helpful hints online for how to add a video to a web page, but it's not working.

The video is in a mp4 format.

What I have coded so far is:

<video width="320" height="240" controls>
  <source src="VID_20151016_203458.mp4" type="video/mp4">
<source src="movie.ogg" type="video/ogg">
Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

When I run the index.html, I get this error message:

No video with supported format and MIME type found.

I am running on a Firefox browser.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

It depends on where your video is saved. First, I would advise you to try it locally.
I mean : Create an index.html in the folder where your video is.

<video width="320" height="240" controls>
  <source src="myVideo.mp4" type="video/mp4"> 
 <source src="myVideo.ogg" type="video/ogg">
Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

That should then work.

I have tried it locally. Everything is on my hard drive. Hmm, I see your point. I can just copy my html to the the video folder. I had tried a path command earlier as well that didn't work.

I will give it a shot. Thanks for your help. I didn't expect a response until Monday.

If it doesnt work:

Show here please the complete Code.

And take look at this:

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_video.asp

There you can find a table which Browser support which video format.

It didn't work. Still same error message. Let me get back to you. Let me check out my basics and syntax stuff. Firefox should support this. Again, thanks for your help.

Firefox should indeed support this, all major browsers should. The code we have, we need the video to see why it doesn't work, can you upload the video to somewhere (dropbox for all i know) and then share the link?

Sorry, the file you are trying to upload is not authorized (authorized extension: jpg, jpeg, png, gif).

It's a video from my Android phone to computer. And not a picture. lol

Well, I need some sleep. Thanks for your help!

I will touch base tomorrow.

You can't upload the video here, you need external software like dropbox.

Are you sure the phone records videos in mp4 format?

Yes, the phone records in mp4 format. I copied it directly from the phone to the computer.

I have good news though. After doing a little bit of more research on the internet and looking at other people's video issues, I decided to try another browser. I'm still running XP so Internet Explorer will not update until I get a newer operating system.

So when I loaded my HTML file using Google Chrome, the video worked! It doesn't work on Firefox, but it does with Google Chrome. I'm not sure why it doesn't work on Firefox, but I'll mess with that later down the road.

Again, thanks for your time and help!

William Bryant

i guess firefox also quit supporting xp, you seriously need to upgrade. XP is no longer supported, and a huge security risk, plus it is bad practice to run such old browsers as a programmer.

If you don't have a key for a newer windows, there is also a option to install linux

Yes, I know XP is no longer supported. I don't run old browsers. I run the current versions of Firefox and Chrome.

@bbryant There's a blog post on why MP3/4 files don't work on Firefox here: https://daverupert.com/2010/03/audio-the-silent-browser-killer

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Which Version of FireFox do you use?