I'm new to coding!

Hey, I’m Kay, and completely new to this Coding. I’m a non-professional who is just wanting to learn something new and interesting with problem-solving included. I struggle to understand what some elements mean and where should they be inserted etc. My problem is I want to know and be able to do everything straight away and when I cant I give up and I don’t want to do that. In time I want to be able to just make a simple web page off by heart. If anybody can take the time and help me with explanations of what certain HTML codes mean I’d be so appreciative. Best wishes, Kay

CODEme

4 Likes

Hi Kay!

Welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

I have to be upfront, even experienced programmers will hit walls where they find themselves short of answers. But the positive thing is that the craft is about how to overcome those walls and gain more depth in the understanding of things.

Feel free to ask questions here: the more specific they are the more likely you are to get a specific answer (don’t forget to share your code… formatting it with the </> button before pasting).

People are very supportive here and every single one of us (no matter the experience level) has dealt with some frustration in coding. It’s always ok to step away when it’s too much. You can always come back to programming and keep trying where you left off.

Good luck to you!

3 Likes

Hi Kay, welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

I want to echo what @toastedpitabread said in that no matter how much experience you have, you will (most likely, at least) always have a moment where you’re not sure how to do something or forget and have to look it up and/or problem solve. The really cool thing about programming is that you can constantly learn new things; whether it’s what a piece of code does, or how to do something in a different way. And there’s a lot of people in the community who are happy to help!

One thing that I can suggest that helps me is to have a document where you just write down what certain things do as you learn them, and what their typical usages are. Even if it’s not a resource you end up using, just writing it down can help you put that little nugget of information into your memory.

And ultimately what it comes down to is practice! I’ve taken a couple classes and learned on my own off and on for a couple years, and I’m just now to the point I can make a basic webpage on my own, but lately I’ve been practicing more and more and learning more just comes along with it. It can be hard and challenging, absolutely, but the more you stick with it the easier it will be.

Best wishes to you! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Kay! Welcome! :smile:

I agree with everything that @toastedpitabread & @jj_coder said! As someone who is rebuilding my code skills (out of practice from lack of use), I’ll say being patient with yourself is key!

We all started somewhere and we all know what it feels like to be new. You’ll find (in this community and others) that people are willing to help you out and make sure you’re successful nine times out of ten. :slightly_smiling_face:

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! - This cannot be stressed enough! The more you practice and get comfortable with code the easier some things will become second nature. Of course, this isn’t to say that you won’t have to look something up ever again in your journey, but it’ll definitely give you confidence. :100:

I wish you the best of luck from one coder to another! :grin:

1 Like