I'm new here and curious what should I do

Happy new year to everyone here,
I just want to know, are the projects here are good enough to put on the resume or just some small projects?
has any one of you gotten a job after completing one of the paths they offer here?
did anyone done intensive python or data science pro? if so, how was it ?
Thank you !

6 Likes

IMHO, codecademy is just a tool. Doesn’t educate you in everything you need.

Well actually i’m planning to be a coder (or software engineer) but anyways, all the coding I’ve done was learned from codecademy so basically if I do become a coder, then that answers your question.

2 Likes

Coder, Programmer, And software engineer are all very different things.

2 Likes

I know, just mentioning it because there a little bit similar

This too.

3 Likes

I understand where you coming from. And its true you probably can become a Coder/Web Developer from CC.

But it is hard to believe that someone from CC can rival someone with a BA or MS degree in Computer Science Job Where problem-solving is the majority of the work.

Many College students use CC to master the syntax, But so far I haven’t seen CC teaching mathematics, Theories of engineering, or the basic business skills necessary to obtain a high-level software engineering job or computer science job.

I’m Certain CC can give you skills to enhance a high powered resume, and you most likely can become a web dev via CC, BUT it’s almost impossible that someone with just a basic HS education and CC is going to qualify for a high-level job at somewhere like IBM.

3 Likes

You are right about this:

Though I think you can get a normal job, the link I sent you can prove that.
Btw happy new year:fireworks:

2 Likes

Lol I’m 16 years old, and everyone that I talk to about this kind of stuff says that going into this field is easy, as long you show some experience and know your stuff. Times have really changed but I didn’t know how much from back when people were getting hired with little to no experience. Now that these jobs are much more in demand, I see how hard it really is to get into a “high-level job” like Google.(or like you said IBM.)

Thanks for the insight! I guess I really have to step up my game to get into stuff like that! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

If we are to believe the CC blog, many have. However, it didn’t come automatically, and not without a tremendous amount of effort on their part, both here and previous/subsequent to embarking upon CC course paths.

My guess is, the most likely employable candidates were/are graduates of the Intensive program. I would never assume they came in green. They have other skills into which they rolled their learning at CC.

There is a reason it takes the average person twelve years to complete primary through secondary education. There are a lot of skills to acquire and discipline one’s self in. A tremendous lot when we look across the whole spectrum.

Everything builds upon that.whether one becomes a welder, a carpenter, a baker, locksmith or any other career vocation. What we learn is like water filling a barrel, and fortunately for us humans, the barrel is very large. Unfortunately for us humans that barrel can leak, or become tainted. One drop of motor oil can pollute 20 000 gallons of fresh water.

And no matter how valuable the education opportunity there is another human factor… aptitude. The apt pupil will learn far faster and intensively than the, “will this be on the test?” variety.

In games and forums there are bridges we cross and that’s that, but in life there is no menu or set equation to define what happens with our actions. Life doesn’t go by a playbook. As we sow, so shall we reap. That is not as absolute as it sounds. A bad season can wipe out a crop. A bumper year can deflate prices. Those are things we cannot predict when we’re planting the seeds.

Fortunately, as stated before, the barrel is very large, and we don’t have to live an existential life. We can take counter-measures. The water can be purified and the leaks repaired. To an apt pupil that is called due diligence.

Employable persons have a wide range of qualities that they offer the employer. It’s not just their resume of coding skills, but what can be detected by the interviewer of the individual’s aptitude for the job.

Bottom line, develop all your assets, not just coding skills. Communication is key; numeracy is paramount; social awareness is crucial; scientific awareness is critical; and, self-awareness is tantamount. Nothing in life is handed to us on a platter, and a piece of paper or particular accomplishment does not buy us a ticket on a first class voyage. Sometimes effort is rewarded, sometimes not. The apt pupil would treat this assertion with positivity and optimism, then pour all their energy into moving forward by whatever means.

7 Likes

Brakes on, please. Observe as a non-participant, and learn. Step by step that learning may be applied in future lessons.

Don’t ever confuse interest with ambition and never place limits on either.

6 Likes

It is almost impossible for me to believe, that a person with Basic Algebra, Basic science, no engineering skills, and just CodeCademy can land a Software Engineer II (software engineer 2) job at IBM, Google, Etc.

Many of my friends and family have gotten web development/Light Programming jobs without any college education or without advanced college-level skills. But for people who want High-Level jobs, Job security, and the ability to make lateral and even vertical moves at will REQUIRE knowledge, Intelligence, and unique thinking skills. @mtf touched on this in his reply.

Some of the greatest minds in technology Had no college education, But the knew their stuff. They were smart. And they had very unique thinking abilities. And while most of them didn’t go to college, Most of them QUALIFIED for colleges like Harvard, Penn, Duke, Yale, MIT.

3 Likes

Not everything. It gets you the basics that will help you understand, and be able to perform things in the language.

You can’t just be smart. You also need to put the effort in. Someone could be smarter than you, but if you work harder you could get that job, and that person wouldn’t because they put in much effort.

3 Likes

I was viewing it like Smart=Wise. But in terms of knowledge, you are correct someone who works harder and has less knowledge will most certainly beat someone who is lazy or isn’t working as hard and has a lot of knowledge.

4 Likes

Intelligent is the easiest of these words and one applies the word to refer to a person having thinking and analyzing ability. … Wise is a word that connotes a person who has a lot of knowledge and wisdom .

3 Likes

I was telling you why I used the word smart. Intelligence in peoples minds is often measured by IQ which is a fallacy, that’s why I didn’t use that word. I should have used wise to be less misleading. Wise people tend to work hard, actually, almost all wise people work hard.

3 Likes

Some people have gotten jobs here from Codecademy. Check this category:
https://discuss.codecademy.com/c/careers-journeys-stories/stories

3 Likes

It doesn’t educate you in everything you need? Does it at least give you enough basic knowledge here?

3 Likes

Link me one. I literally just read through Three that either got a low-level web development job (nothing wrong with that but proves my point) or another one that had a high level of non-Software related education.

4 Likes

Welcome to Codecademy Dave!

Yes, it will give the basic knowledge needed here. Not everything at least, but most.

4 Likes