I'm a teen looking to make programming my career. Where should I start?

Hi! I want to make coding my career, and hopefully make a living off of it in the future. I already know some HTML/CSS, and JavaScript. I came to Codeacademy to better prepare myself for other college programming courses I’ll be taking later.

I’m new to Codeacademy and not sure how the community or lessons work yet. Where should I start? And what programming languages should I learn first?

2 Likes

Hello @nitowl, welcome to the forums! If you pay for PRO, I would recommend taking the Web dev path-even though you know some HTML,CSS and JS, you can just skip over the parts you already know. This paths teaches you each language, and then teaches you how to apply them to making a website. Otherwise, you could just take any course on a specific language that you want to learn.

1 Like

Hi there! Welcome to the forums :grinning:

I am Yiz, I am also a teen looking to make programming my career. (Although I’m also into art, writing and chemistry).

I like this little quiz thingy that Codecademy offers you to try and see which languages suit you best. Of course the answer is probably not going to be 100% accurate, but you can at least get an idea.

I started off with Python, which I think is mainly used for Data Science. After that I learned Java, because I got into Android Development (although now, if you wanna get into Android Development, I suggest you learn Kotlin first).

I also know some HTML, CSS and JavaScript, like you. Although I haven’t really put my knowledge to good use yet :sweat_smile:

Well I hope all my rambling gave you an idea of where to start lol :sweat_smile: :upside_down_face:

If you ever need help with anything, you can always ask here in the forums, there are plenty of people willing to help :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

@yizuhi
Thank you so much!

I’m not sure about Android Development. I’m more interested in websites and, like, computers… But I’m still not sure about exactly what I want to do, I guess I just want to be able to have as much knowledge as I can, then from there figure out what I want to do. Would that be a bad choice? or? ._.

Oh something I was thinking about doing is, cyber security, what would I have to learn to do that? lol sorry I’m so clueless rn, I defiantly need to do more research hehe.

1 Like

Oh it’s okay.

Yeah figuring out what you wanna do can be daunting…I might be mainly into Android Development just because it’s almost the only thing I know how to do lol :upside_down_face:
I have been thinking of getting into data science though, and I’m already learning about Web Development.

Learning as much as you can before knowing what you want to do…I think it’s not a bad idea. Here in Codecademy, most of the time they tell you how you can use what you learned. (And I mean you can also ask the wise guy Google).
That way you can also find new things that interest you, which is great.
The only thing is that sometimes, if you don’t have a clear idea of where you want to go and what you want to achieve, it’s easier to give up and get frustrated along the way. But as long as you can deal with that I think you’ll be okay :grinning:

Ooh that honestly sounds really cool :star_struck: But to be really honest…heh, I have no idea of what you’d need to learn to do that :cry:

2 Likes

Oh hold on, I found this:

5 best programming languages to learn for Cyber Security

Also I think you’d make use of AI and Machine Learning.

1 Like

Thank you so much!! You’re so helpful!!!

1 Like

Aw you’re welcome (and thanks) :blush:

For Cyber Security learn cryptography and anything to do with numbers. I don’t know about other languages, but in Python learning the following modules might help you:

• SciPy
  • NumPy
  • Secrets

As for Web Development, I am too a young aspiring Web Dev! I have made many websites for my friends, and they are very happy with my work. I recommend reading MDN Web Docs and being very open to critics. If you are looking to invest in Codecademy Pro, take the skill path Building a Website with HTML, CSS, JavaScript and GitHub Pages.

2 Likes

I have a question regarding the web development course.
so i have finished the HTML course but i havent decided whether i want to do app development or website development. for the course do i need to know css fluent and java fluent

Hello @alex.collins, welcome to the forums! I haven’t done the web dev course myself; however, if you check the course prerequisites, then you’ll know what you need to learn for it. I shouldn’t imagine you do need fluent anything for it, though.

Hey thanks, if you have done html would you be able to solve my problem, for some reason my text is in link form [so it looks like it is going to a link] but i dont have any links, it is just to do with css or am i making a mistake. here is the link for it https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-html/projects/semantic-html-nyc-blog thanks

The syntax for an anchor tag is:

<a href="link adress">text</a>

Is that what you mean?