I'm 16 and want to get a coding job in the future, what should I learn?

So what I already know is:
HTML CSS JS (I took off school coding classes for 3 years and I think I have some certificates as proof I did them so I can show them to the employer)
NodeJS (I mainly made discord bots and I don’t have any certificates since I learned it on the go since I already knew JS from the classes I mentioned before)
C# (I’m learning in school but I’m way faster then my class and it’s very boring for me since my teacher isn’t challenging me even tho I’m almost done with the whole book even tho it was supposed to last like 4 months and we’ve spent less then 1 month on it)
Java (I know less then basics but have made minecraft plugins in the past)
Python (I’m learning this on codecademy)

I’m mostly interested in back-end programming so I thought I should first finish learning python, after this learn Kotlin.
To finish python I was thinking of doing 3 udemy courses, one is about automating tasks with python one is about using python with realistic applications and one is about artificial intelligence with python (I already bought the last one) the reason I want to do courses on udemy is because they have certificates I can show to the employer. I also wanted to get a solo learn and a m1m0 certificate on python since those are free when you complete the course.

Other than this I thought I should also build a portfolio and a github and contribute to projects + make my own open source projects.

Are my ideas good to maybe get a part time / summer job or should I also learn other languages.

I was thinking maybe I also have to learn Java/C++/SQL/PHP since these also seem very usefull but I want to be sure I will need the languages I learn since it doesn’t seem usefull to learn languages I will never use.

Last question is will it be possible to get a coding job by 17 in the summer / part time or will no employer hire someone under 18 with no past experience?

1 Like

Well, first thing I can say is that what do you want to do? Do you want to build games, software, etc.? I guess it’s good to learn lots of things, but try to narrow it down.

Of what?

Data Science Example:
Back-end = Uses SQL and Python to query and visualize data
Front-end = Makes the user be able to query and visualize the data using the back-end software (but its user friendly!)

I want to be a Data Scientist which entails:

1. Learn SQL

2. Learn success metrics & tracking metrics

3. learn A/B testing

4. Learn Python, tableau, R or Excel - to manipulate, visualize and interpret data

5. Learn predictive modelling

Then, once you have some understanding of these things, build a portfolio, have a github that showcases your knowledge in these things. Even get a couple of certificates.

• Learn how to download software.
  • Have some basic knowledge of command line and front-end development

In my opinion, you need to learn programming languages that will help you achieve your goal.

Do game developers need to use SQL, a data management language? No. Programming languages are a tool you use for a goal.

I think companies will hire people with the skills to be able to do what they need them to do.

Have you also read this: Can someone please give me some valuable career advice, I am struggling broke and trying to break in as a Junior Dev, but zero luck! article? It lists some important things to learn as well.

A “coding job” is just a job that uses coding to achieve a goal. The “how” in that job isn’t always going to be a simple: print('Hello World').

Your employer asks you to show them a the most answered stage of their quiz from users? What shows the number of people at each stage of a quiz for example? A user funnel perhaps? What is a user funnel and what does it show? Which tool could help me do this? SQL? Sure. How would I use SQL to do this?

1. Group by…
  2. Order by…
  3. BLAH BLAH

So, learn all the languages you want, but I think that would ultimately be wasting your time.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

I agree with the previous commenter, it kind of depends on what you want to do with your coding experience.

For example, I enjoy data analysis and data science, so as a result I’ve been focusing on learning SQL, Python 3, and R. But, if I wanted to do web design or something like that, those languages might not be the first ones I would pick.

Generally, I’d recommend learning one, less complex language first to get used to code and code syntax. I learned SQL/VBA first and spent a couple years getting acclimated to it through hands-on practice and trial and error.

Once you’ve learned one language, you’ll understand generally how the code is structured, and what certain things mean across languages. Then, it will be easier to take on the differences between coding languages and more complex languages.

If you want to try SQL/VBA (Visual Basic), you could do that in Microsoft Access, if that’s something you use. If you build a query using the query wizard or from scratch, you can then look at the back-end code (should be a menu option on the overhead tool bar someplace called “Edit Code”).

From there, you can start to learn how things you do in Access relate to SQL code.

Or, there is always the tried-and-true method of looking at any number of forums and discussion threads of code someone else has done, to find sample code for what you are trying to do.

Also just to add to another thing the previous commenter said, I agree that there are only certain jobs that are “coding jobs” in the purest sense. The only thing that comes to mind is something like “software engineer”.

That said, as someone who does not have an educational background in computer science or IT, you can apply coding to all different disciplines. And, you can be useful to all different kinds of employers in that respect.