If Statements from Strings

Hey everyone,

I am working on an exercise that I can't seem to figure out. I'm working in Python 3.5. I am trying to collect 2 inputs from a user, add them together and then print out a response based on the sum of the 2 inputs. I got stuck a few times and found the solutions however now I am really confused. Can anyone please guide me toward what may help fix my code?

I get the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File ..... line 7, in
if Sum > "100":
TypeError: unorderable types: int() > str()
When running:

print("I want you to think of 2 numbers. Got em? Okay")
print("Please Enter Your First Number")
FirstNumber = input()
print("Perfect. Now please enter the second number.")
SecondNumber = input()
Sum = int(FirstNumber) + int(SecondNumber)
if Sum > "100":
    print("They add up to a big number")
if Sum <= "100":
    print(Sum)

Thank you for any and all help!!

Python does not permit comparison of a number to a string. Sum is a number, "100" is a string.

Naming convention dictates that we use lowercase as the first letter in plain variables. A capital first letter indicates a Class associated with the name.

firstNumber or first_number

secondNumber or second_number

sum

It's also a good practice to not use reserved words as variable names. sum() is a built in list function.

Hi mtf, thank you for your response!

I had thought the issue was comparing the variable to a number so I tried wrapping the Sum in int() but hadn't thought of just removing the quotation marks from 100.. And sure enough that was the answer. Thanks for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.