If else on "yes" but what if user says "YES"

javascript, code your own adventure, exercise 5

does not behave incorrectly, just curious about something

What happens if the user is prompted and writes YES or YeS instead of all lowercase yes?
Is there a way to code for this?

// Check if the user is ready to play!
confirm("I am ready to play the game!");
var age = prompt("What's your age?");
if (age < 13) {
    confirm("You are allowed to play but we take no responsibility."); 
    console.log('age not acceptable');
} 
else 
{console.log("age acceptable"); 
confirm("Go get em! ");
}
console.log("You are at a Justin Bieber concert, and you hear this lyric 'Lace my shoes off, start racing.'");
console.log("Suddenly, Bieber stops and says, 'Who wants to race me?'");
var userAnswer = prompt("Do you want to race Bieber on stage?");
if (userAnswer === "yes") {
    console.log ("You and Bieber start racing. It's neck and neck! You win by a shoelace!");
}
    else 
    {
        console.log ("Oh no! Bieber shakes his head and sings 'I set a pace, so I can race without pacing.'");
    }

Yes, there is, actually! By doing var answer = prompt("Enter answer").toLowerCase();. This will take the users input, and transfer it to lower case. You can also do .toUpperCase();. So this way, no matter what the user says, as long as its "yes," it'll be correct.

thank you!
as I understand this, you only need to do one or the other (lower or upper case). you don't need to code it for both ways, right?

Yup! Only one is required, but make sure if you do an if statement you make compare the var as it upper case or lower case form! I'll show an example:

var answer = prompt("Enter answer").toUpperCase();

if (answer === "YES") { /* make sure the YES is capitalized or lower case, depending on which you set it as */
  do this
}

Make sense?

You people make me feel dumb... I thought I was smart. I'm jealous

Haha, it's all knowledge from Codecademy and YouTube, my friend :slightly_smiling:

Hey can you message me please?

Thank you quobogeba!

Hey Quobogeba,

I used it in the conclusion (exercise 13) to 'introduction to for loops in js'

Check out my code.

var programmingConcepts = ["variables", "loops", "if/else clauses", "functions"];

var answertoQuestion = prompt("Do you like programming").toLowerCase();

if (answertoQuestion === "yes") {
for (var i = 0; i < programmingConcepts.length; i++)
console.log("I am learning " + programmingConcepts[i])
}
else {
confirm("Maybe programming is not for you?");
}

// it works!!!

@evanqs I'm glad it works! Have fun coding! :slightly_smiling:

My program is **console.log("You are at a Justin Bieber concert, and you hear this lyric 'Lace my shoes off, start racing.'");
console.log("Suddenly, Bieber stops and says, 'Who wants to race me?'");
var userAnswer = prompt("Do you want to race Bieber on stage?");
if ( userAnswer === "yes")
{
console.log("You and Bieber start racing. It's neck and neck! You win by a shoelace!");
}
else
{
console.log("Oh no! Bieber shakes his head and sings 'I set a pace, so I can race without pacing.'");
}

but when I save and submit it shows an error saying "Oops! Try Again. Did you add an if to your code?"

What do i do?

Sorry, I can't see the mistake, but I can give you the codes I've used:

console.log("You are at a Justin Bieber concert, and you hear this lyric 'Lace my shoes off, start racing.'")

console.log("Suddenly, Bieber stops and says, 'Who wants to race me?'")

var userAnswer = prompt("Do you want to race Bieber on stage?")

if (userAnswer === "yes") {
console.log("You and Bieber start racing. It's neck and neck! You win by a shoelace!")
}

else {
console.log("Oh no! Bieber shakes his head and sings 'I set a pace, so I can race without pacing.'")
}