IDE Help

Hey, this is probably a silly question but there is little information out there on this topic and i feel im wasting far too much time trying to figure this out. For the Lodash project in the web development path (https://www.codecademy.com/paths/web-development/tracks/web-dev-js-arrays-loops-objects/modules/pjs-javascript-capstone/projects/lodash) im having trouble finding what it means to check that lodash was installed properly though the command line. This is task two of this project. Thank you for all help given. I use Visual Studio Code as my IDE

1 Like

Not sure what you may have done already, but here are the steps I followed to complete this project using VS Code.

1. In VS Code, open the unzipped/extracted folder downloaded from Codecademy called ‘lodash’
  2. Open a new terminal window, and run the command:
    npm init (You can hit enter to use the default values for the setup).
  3. Navigate to the ‘lodash’ directory using: cd lodash
  4. Enter the command: node test/lodash.js

That will get you through Task #2, and you should be good to go from there. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hey there,

I am working on the Re-creating the Lodash library and I am stuck on the second step as well! I would really prefer to do this project locally using Visual Studio Code. I have not yet learned anything about Node.js so this part is 100% new to me. I did install Node.js but I am not sure where to go from here. I entered the commands you suggested but I am not having any luck. This is as far as I get:

package name: (christinejeaninenielsen-kirby) cd lodash
Sorry, name can only contain URL-friendly characters.
package name: (christinejeaninenielsen-kirby)

I am following the Web Development Career Path. Did I miss a section where this is covered? Or is there a lesson that I could refer to to understand this concept?

Thanks for your help! I am so lost! :pleading_face:

Hello, @christinejeanine, and welcome to the forums. I’ll try to help. Have you successfully opened the folder that you downloaded from Codecademy in VS Code? If so, it should look something like this:

@midlindner – Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! I did finally get the green success message and am trucking right along as you can see! :slightly_smiling_face:

I believe the problem was that I had not saved after creating the empty object in step one. I am not entirely certain that was it, but I think that it was.

Thanks again for the response! This is the first question I’ve posted in the forums and it is so nice to know that there are helpful folks out there!

1 Like

Great to hear! Happy Coding!

I am having issue getting this setup on my own computer. I tried running the steps that you listed above but I am getting an error. Term npm not recognized.

Also when I tried typing “node _.js” I received an error “The term Node not recognized.”

Hello, @teachmetocode524.

It looks like you may not have node installed on your computer. If you do, you may need to update your Path. I will be away from my computer for the rest of the night, so if you need further assistance, hopefully someone else will jump in here. Here’s a link that may help with your Path if needed. Good luck!

1 Like

Perfect thanks for the help just what I needed. Rocking and rolling now.

1 Like