I want to learn APIs - Is Python or JavaScript where to start?

Hey all - I originally signed up for Codecademy to run the Web Development career path. After some odd and lucky turns I landed at a SaaS company (not programming). I wanted to keep learning and thought it would be fun to build some workflows with the platform’s API to integrate with other tools using Pipedream. This would allow me to keep learning, but also apply it to my current job.

It’s a JSON API and I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the best place to start to play with that. I’m thinking Python, or would JavaScript be the place to start?

I want to look at tying into other services for simple tests, like Google Calendar, Slack, stuff like that.

I’d love any thoughts on the best starting line.

Honestly, what ever works best for you. Python and JavaScript are both very good for API.

2 Likes

Thank you @wafflejz - I haven’t touched either, so sounds like JavaScript may be more inline with the WebDev side.

1 Like

I’ve only used Python so that’s what I can comment on here.
I like it b/c you can use the requests library & write loops to go thru the data. Additionally, you can use beautifulsoup to parse the html plus it has built-in functions.

You can read up on it here and here.

That’s my .02 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1 for Python and the requests module, it’s very intuitive.

However, I’d suggest that the language you choose would depend on how you plan on using your integration. Since you’ve suggested that you plan on using Pipedream, it would make more sense for you to begin learning JavaScript since Pipedream leverages Node v14 to interact with APIs.

3 Likes

I recommend to you for Python and the requests module, it’s very intuitive. Otherwise, you can choose what ever works best for you. Python and JavaScript are both very good for API.