I think the code is correct, why's the error?

In exercise 6. is_prime I am using this code:

def is_prime(x):
  if (x-1) % 2 == 0 and x != 1:
    return True
  elif x == 1:
    return False
  else:
    return False 

it keeps showing me an error that the function does not work with 2 like when you use is_prime(2). The error says that it returns False when it should return True but that’s wrong because 1 is not a prime number.
so what’s the deal?

Why x - 1? If the code is correct then it should return the correct value (False) when given a non-prime, like 9.

>>> def is_prime(x):
  if (x-1) % 2 == 0 and x != 1:
    return True
  elif x == 1:
    return False
  else:
    return False

>>> is_prime(9)
True
>>> 

Your code is essentially letting all odd numbers be prime, which we know is not the real case. All primes are odd, (except 2) but not all odds are prime.

oh, guess I need to refresh my math a little since I thought this is how you get a prime number

The exercise suggests a brute force approach that uses trial division.

if x < 2: return False

That being the first line of your function block, will rule out any number less than 2. Now we can begin iterating over a range and doing the trial division.

for n in range(2, x):
    if x % n == 0: return False

Primes are not divisible by any number except themself and 1. Should any value for x prove divisible, we know it is not prime, so return False.

Lastly,

return True

This will catch the 2 from the first if statement (since it will not make it into the loop), and also any numbers that trickle down from the loop.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.