I seriously don't understand a single thing that is happening

I don't understand what this thing wants me to do.
The explanations are counter-intuitive.
It needs a comparison and a 'get code' button when you're stuck.

Please post your code and a link to the exercise you are on. :slight_smile:

"""Assign the string "Ping!" to
the variable the_machine_goes on
line 5, then print it out on line 6!"""

the_machine_goes = "Ping!"
print "the_machine_goes"

You are not supposed to include parentheses when printing out a variable just remove the parentheses and your code will be fine. :slight_smile:

Well it would be nice to say that somewhere in the lesson, wouldn't it?\

I couldn't get past the previous lesson because I forgot to use parentheses. Then the next lesson it seems that there are not supposed to be parentheses.

No need to use bad language @thew0z programming is a learning process and it takes patience to learn. :slight_smile:

I am a very patient person. But I also have teaching experience. And I know that if I want a student to learn, I need to give them TIPS and CLUES. The HTML, CSS and SQL lessons were very good at this. Things like: "do this" "don't do that" and "remember to..." This lesson has NO SUCH THINGS. It just rambles through WITHOUT ANY VIABLE EXPLANATION OF WHAT IS HAPPENING.

Well actually in the lesson about the print statement which is among the first they show how to use the print statement for strings and variables which is what you are doing in your code above. :slight_smile:

Like this

Print the concatenation of "Spam and eggs" on line 3!

print "Spam " + "and " + "eggs"

Oops, try again.
It looks like you printed "Spam and  eggs" instead of "Spam and eggs".

HOW IS A REASONABLE PERSON SUPPOSED TO UNDERSTAND THE ERROR?

Of course now I see the error. There is an extra space between the "and" and "eggs"
But the error message does not show that.
It looks like this

The message does not show the problem. And no matter how many times you change it, it still won't show you how to fix your error.

Well @thew0z that is what this forum is for, to help you understand and overcome the challenges you face while doing any of the courses :slight_smile:

But also I suggest when programming you need to understand that Critical Thinking is a fundamental part of programming.

In the exercise above if you look in detail the desired result is less spaced than the user's result,

User's result --> "Spam and eggs"

Desired result --> "Spam and eggs"

See the difference? :smile:

No. I don't see the difference. This is supposed to teach the basics, assuming that the student does not know anything about coding. The lesson does not help UNDERSTAND the issue.

Is this the lesson you are on?

Yes. I looked at the error again with a magnifying glass to see if perhaps one was off by a pixel or not. BUT IT WASN'T.

Please post your code so I can help you debug your error :slight_smile:

All I'm doing is repeating the instructions but don't know to what end.
It's like I was to teach you a brand new language, like Polish.
Say
Yhestem
Say
Glodna

Good!!! Next lesson.

Do you know what you said? No you don't because I didn't tell you.
This is what this lesson does. It tells you to do things but not the purpose.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.