I Need Help with a Project

I’m on question 8 which asks you to test your code. My code did not pass the test, still trying to figure out why.

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python-3/projects/function-args-the-nile

“calculate_shipping_cost() did not format the result in a string”

def calculate_shipping_cost(from_coords, to_coords,shipping_type='Overnight'):

from_lat, from_long = from_coords
  to_lat, to_long = to_coords
  distance = get_distance(from_lat, from_long, to_lat, to_long)
  shipping_rate = SHIPPING_PRICES[shipping_type]
  price = distance * shipping_rate
  format_price(price)

In order for anyone to help, you’ll have to post your code. Don’t forget to click </> first, and then paste your code in the space indicated.

You have to return your value from your function.

But a return is already present in the funcion “format_price”

The return in format_price() returns the value to the calling statement, which in this case is inside your function. Your function, calculate_shipping_cost(), must, in turn, return the received value.

def area_format(rad, area):
    return "the area of your circle of radius {} is {}".format(rad, area)

def area_circle(rad):
    area = 3.14 * rad**2
    return area_format(rad, area)

print(area_circle(3))

Output:

the area of your circle of radius 3 is 28.26
1 Like

When I do:

return format_price(price)

I get “Inconsistent use of tabs and spaces”

That’s a bug, or at least over-sensitivity in the editor. Un-indent the line all the way to the left, then re-indent it using spacebar only (probably 2 spaces). If that doesn’t work, re-indent using tab.

Now I’m getting this “UnicodeEncodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character ‘\u2705’ in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)”

Ah! A bug!
Go to test.py and scroll down. You’ll see a number of green check marks. Replace each with “OK!” or anything you like, then click “Save”, then go back to your script and try again.

2 Likes

That’s insane, how’d you figure that one out?

When I took the course, I got the same error, which essentially says that it’s trying to print a character that it can’t print. So I looked for what was supposed to be printed in test.py, and those check marks jumped out!
I just reported it again.

2 Likes