I got 99 problems and a switch aint one of them

Can someone please explain this to me clearly with a code example. I think this particular exercise is not very well written and the hint is as useless as it can be.

I dont need some clever person to write riddle in their answer.. I would be grateful for a clear explanation and a working code example.
So frustrated with this as everything was going ok so far.....

Replace this line with your code.

I'm having an issue as well. I'm not quite understanding the def relationship.

`
def greater_less_equal_5(answer):
if greater_less_equal_5 > 5:
return 1
elif greater_less_equal_5 < 5:
return -1
else:
return 0

print greater_less_equal_5(4)
print greater_less_equal_5(5)
print greater_less_equal_5(6)

It keeps returning 1 in all cases. I'm fairly new to coding so I'm having a little trouble figuring out these relations. Can someone help me out with this one?

if answer > 5:
      return 1
   elif answer < 5:
      return -1
   else:
      return 0

print greater_less_equal_5(4)
print greater_less_equal_5(5)
print greater_less_equal_5(6)

I'm an idiot, I figured it out. Just have to set the answer to the conditionals, not the function. Derp.

I still don't understand (a) where and what is the value of answer itself and (b) how do 4, 5, 6 work

All you're doing here is providing the condition for the if and elif statements.

if answer > 5:
return 1
elif answer < 5:
return -1
else:
return 0

This is creating the perimeters for what will be returned for any given int value entered in the below statements.

print greater_less_equal_5(4) #because value in parentheses is less than 5, print -1
print greater_less_equal_5(5) #because value in parentheses is not less than 5 or greater than 5, print 0
print greater_less_equal_5(6) #because value in parentheses is greater than 5, print 1

The code above is testing what values are in the parentheses and returning 1, -1, 0 accordingly. These are entered with a print statement to provide a read out in the terminal.

The return will read something like

Sorry for the format not matching what it would look like in the actual code. I hope you can still understand this.

i literally just shook my head in anger and shame when I read your solution to this. thanks for figuring it out for the rest of us. happy coding

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.