I am an absolute base beginner, and I do not know if I've done this right

I really hope I am not breaking any rules here. I’m trying to learn Python for fun, not for a job or anything but because it’s what people say to start with when you want to learn how to code. I am an absolute beginner and it’s been difficult finding a good website to explain this stuff to someone like me, so I like this site…

Long story short, I’ve been working at it for a few hours but now I’m stuck and I cannot see if I’ve done this right. I put the code in and things show up on the right but I’m not sure if it’s correct because my numbers aren’t there when I click “save”. I was hoping for some insight? This is what I’ve input.

name=(“Lovely Loveseat”)
#Store Description below
variable = “lovely_loveseat_description”
name=(“”“Lovely Loveseat. Tufted polyester blend on wood. 32 inches high x 40 inches wide x 30 inches deep. Red or white.”“”)

#Lovely Loveseat Price Below
variable = “lovely_loveseat_price”
lovely_loveseat_price = 254.00

#Furniture 2 here, stylish sette for step 3
variable = “stylish_settee_description”
name=(“”“Stylish Settee. Faux leather on birch. 29.50 inches high X 54.75 inches wide X 28 inches deep. Black.”“”)
#Price Below
variable = “stylish_settee_price”
stylish_settee_price = 180.50

#Item Number 3 here
variable = “luxurious_lamp_description”
name=(“”“Luxurious Lamp. Glass and iron. 26 inches tall. Brown with cream shade.”“”)
name=(“luxurious_lamp_price”)
name=(52.15)

#Sales tax below
variable = “sales_tax”
variable=.088

#Customer One Below
variable= “customer_one_total”
variable= “customer_one_itemization”
variable=“lovely_loveseat_price+luxurious_lamp_price”

#customer one total and tax below

variable = “customer_one_tax”
customer_one_tax = (“Customer_one_total*sales_tax”)

variable =(“customer_one_tax + customer_one_total”)

print(“Customer One Items”)

print(“customer_one_itemization.”)

print(“Customer One Total:”)

You wouldn’t use " in the name of a variable.
If your variables is a number (float or integer) and not a string, then you wouldn’t use the "

For example,

variable = "lovely_loveseat_description"
name=("""Lovely Loveseat. Tufted polyester blend on wood. 32 inches high x 40 inches wide x 30 inches deep. Red or white.""")

should be

lovely_loveseat_description = """Lovely Loveseat. Tufted polyester blend on wood. 32 inches high x 40 inches wide x 30 inches deep. Red or white."""

Similarly,

variable = "sales_tax"
variable=.088

should be

sales_tax = .088

And

customer_one_tax = ("Customer_one_total*sales_tax")

should be

customer_one_tax = (Customer_one_total*sales_tax)

because those are variables.

And so on.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this reply! That makes more sense! I did review and manage to find the answer the other day but this explanation in writing is very useful. I Hope you don’t mind if I copy and paste it for my notes :slight_smile:
I appreciate you

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.