Hurricane Analysis Challenge Project (JavaScript)?

Has anyone tried the Hurricane Analysis Project using JavaScript?
I know the project was written for Python dictionaries, but it might be interesting to do the project using JavaScript objects.

Summary

Begin by looking at the damages list. The array contains strings representing the total cost in USD($) caused by 34 category 5 hurricanes (wind speeds ≥ 157 mph (252 km/h )) in the Atlantic region. For some of the hurricanes, damage data was not recorded ("Damages not recorded"), while the rest are written in the format "Prefix-B/M", where B stands for billions (1000000000) and M stands for millions (1000000).

Write a function that returns a new array of updated damages where the recorded data is converted to float values and the missing data is retained as "Damages not recorded".

Test your function with the data stored in damages.

Additional data collected on the 34 strongest Atlantic hurricanes are provided in a series of arrays. The data includes:

names: names of the hurricanes
months: months in which the hurricanes occurred
years: years in which the hurricanes occurred
max_sustained_winds: maximum sustained winds (miles per hour) of the hurricanes
areas_affected: list of different areas affected by each of the hurricanes
deaths: total number of deaths caused by each of the hurricanes
The data is organized such that the data at each index, from 0 to 33, corresponds to the same hurricane.

For example, names[0] yields the “Cuba I” hurricane, which occurred in months[0] (October) years[0] (1924).

Write a function that constructs a object made out of the arrays, where the keys of the object are the names of the hurricanes, and the values are objects themselves containing a key for each piece of data (Name, Month, Year, Max Sustained Wind, Areas Affected, Damage, Death) about the hurricane.

Thus the key "Cuba I" would have the value: {'Name': 'Cuba I', 'Month': 'October', 'Year': 1924, 'Max Sustained Wind': 165, 'Areas Affected': ['Central America', 'Mexico', 'Cuba', 'Florida', 'The Bahamas'], 'Damage': 'Damages not recorded', 'Deaths': 90}.

Test your function on the arrays of data provided.

In addition to organizing the hurricanes in an object with names as the key, you want to be able to organize the hurricanes by year.

Write a function that converts the current object of hurricanes to a new object, where the keys are years and the values are lists containing an object for each hurricane that occurred in that year.

For example, the key 1932 would yield the value: [{'Name': 'Bahamas', 'Month': 'September', 'Year': 1932, 'Max Sustained Wind': 160, 'Areas Affected': ['The Bahamas', 'Northeastern United States'], 'Damage': 'Damages not recorded', 'Deaths': 16}, {'Name': 'Cuba II', 'Month': 'November', 'Year': 1932, 'Max Sustained Wind': 175, 'Areas Affected': ['Lesser Antilles', 'Jamaica', 'Cayman Islands', 'Cuba', 'The Bahamas', 'Bermuda'], 'Damage': 40000000.0, 'Deaths': 3103}].

Test your function on your hurricane object.

You believe that knowing how often each of the areas of the Atlantic are affected by these strong hurricanes is important for making preparations for future hurricanes.

Write a function that counts how often each area is listed as an affected area of a hurricane. Store and return the results in an object where the keys are the affected areas and the values are counts of how many times the areas were affected.

Write a function that finds the area affected by the most hurricanes, and how often it was hit.

Test your function on your affected area object.

Write a function that finds the hurricane that caused the greatest number of deaths, and how many deaths it caused.

Just as hurricanes are rated by their windspeed, you want to try rating hurricanes based on other metrics.

Write a function that rates hurricanes on a mortality scale according to the following ratings, where the key is the rating and the value is the upper bound of deaths for that rating.

let mortality_scale = {0: 0,
                       1: 100,
                       2: 500,
                       3: 1000,
                       4: 10000};

For example, a hurricane with a 1 mortality rating would have resulted in greater than 0 but less than or equal to 100 deaths. A hurricane with a 5 mortality rating would have resulted in greater than 10000 deaths.

Store the hurricanes in a new object where the keys are mortality ratings and the values are lists containing a dictionary for each hurricane that falls into that mortality rating.

Write a function that finds the hurricane that caused the greatest damage, and how costly it was.

Lastly, you want to rate hurricanes according to how much damage they cause.

Write a function that rates hurricanes on a damage scale according to the following ratings, where the key is the rating and the value is the upper bound of damage for that rating.

let damage_scale = {0: 0,
                    1: 100000000,
                    2: 1000000000,
                    3: 10000000000,
                    4: 50000000000};

For example, a hurricane with a 1 damage rating would have resulted in damages greater than 0 USD but less than or equal to 100000000 USD. A hurricane with a 5 damage rating would have resulted in damages greater than 50000000000 USD (talk about a lot of money).

Store the hurricanes in a new object where the keys are damage ratings and the values are lists containing an object for each hurricane that falls into that damage rating.

Starting code:

// names of hurricanes const names = ['Cuba I', 'San Felipe II Okeechobee', 'Bahamas', 'Cuba II', 'CubaBrownsville', 'Tampico', 'Labor Day', 'New England', 'Carol', 'Janet', 'Carla', 'Hattie', 'Beulah', 'Camille', 'Edith', 'Anita', 'David', 'Allen', 'Gilbert', 'Hugo', 'Andrew', 'Mitch', 'Isabel', 'Ivan', 'Emily', 'Katrina', 'Rita', 'Wilma', 'Dean', 'Felix', 'Matthew', 'Irma', 'Maria', 'Michael']; // months of hurricanes const months = ['October', 'September', 'September', 'November', 'August', 'September', 'September', 'September', 'September', 'September', 'September', 'October', 'September', 'August', 'September', 'September', 'August', 'August', 'September', 'September', 'August', 'October', 'September', 'September', 'July', 'August', 'September', 'October', 'August', 'September', 'October', 'September', 'September', 'October']; // years of hurricanes const years = [1924, 1928, 1932, 1932, 1933, 1933, 1935, 1938, 1953, 1955, 1961, 1961, 1967, 1969, 1971, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1998, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2005, 2005, 2005, 2007, 2007, 2016, 2017, 2017, 2018]; // maximum sustained winds (mph) of hurricanes const max_sustained_winds = [165, 160, 160, 175, 160, 160, 185, 160, 160, 175, 175, 160, 160, 175, 160, 175, 175, 190, 185, 160, 175, 180, 165, 165, 160, 175, 180, 185, 175, 175, 165, 180, 175, 160]; // areas affected by each hurricane const areas_affected = [['Central America', 'Mexico', 'Cuba', 'Florida', 'The Bahamas'], ['Lesser Antilles', 'The Bahamas', 'United States East Coast', 'Atlantic Canada'], ['The Bahamas', 'Northeastern United States'], ['Lesser Antilles', 'Jamaica', 'Cayman Islands', 'Cuba', 'The Bahamas', 'Bermuda'], ['The Bahamas', 'Cuba', 'Florida', 'Texas', 'Tamaulipas'], ['Jamaica', 'Yucatn Peninsula'], ['The Bahamas', 'Florida', 'Georgia', 'The Carolinas', 'Virginia'], ['Southeastern United States', 'Northeastern United States', 'Southwestern Quebec'], ['Bermuda', 'New England', 'Atlantic Canada'], ['Lesser Antilles', 'Central America'], ['Texas', 'Louisiana', 'Midwestern United States'], ['Central America'], ['The Caribbean', 'Mexico', 'Texas'], ['Cuba', 'United States Gulf Coast'], ['The Caribbean', 'Central America', 'Mexico', 'United States Gulf Coast'], ['Mexico'], ['The Caribbean', 'United States East coast'], ['The Caribbean', 'Yucatn Peninsula', 'Mexico', 'South Texas'], ['Jamaica', 'Venezuela', 'Central America', 'Hispaniola', 'Mexico'], ['The Caribbean', 'United States East Coast'], ['The Bahamas', 'Florida', 'United States Gulf Coast'], ['Central America', 'Yucatn Peninsula', 'South Florida'], ['Greater Antilles', 'Bahamas', 'Eastern United States', 'Ontario'], ['The Caribbean', 'Venezuela', 'United States Gulf Coast'], ['Windward Islands', 'Jamaica', 'Mexico', 'Texas'], ['Bahamas', 'United States Gulf Coast'], ['Cuba', 'United States Gulf Coast'], ['Greater Antilles', 'Central America', 'Florida'], ['The Caribbean', 'Central America'], ['Nicaragua', 'Honduras'], ['Antilles', 'Venezuela', 'Colombia', 'United States East Coast', 'Atlantic Canada'], ['Cape Verde', 'The Caribbean', 'British Virgin Islands', 'U.S. Virgin Islands', 'Cuba', 'Florida'], ['Lesser Antilles', 'Virgin Islands', 'Puerto Rico', 'Dominican Republic', 'Turks and Caicos Islands'], ['Central America', 'United States Gulf Coast (especially Florida Panhandle)']]; // damages (USD($)) of hurricanes const damages = ['Damages not recorded', '100M', 'Damages not recorded', '40M', '27.9M', '5M', 'Damages not recorded', '306M', '2M', '65.8M', '326M', '60.3M', '208M', '1.42B', '25.4M', 'Damages not recorded', '1.54B', '1.24B', '7.1B', '10B', '26.5B', '6.2B', '5.37B', '23.3B', '1.01B', '125B', '12B', '29.4B', '1.76B', '720M', '15.1B', '64.8B', '91.6B', '25.1B']; // deaths for each hurricane const deaths = [90,4000,16,3103,179,184,408,682,5,1023,43,319,688,259,37,11,2068,269,318,107,65,19325,51,124,17,1836,125,87,45,133,603,138,3057,74]; //# 1 // Update Recorded Damages const conversion = {"M": 1000000, "B": 1000000000}; // test function by updating damages //# 2 // Create a Table // Create and view the hurricanes object //# 3 // Organizing by Year // create a new object of hurricanes with year and key //# 4 // Counting Damaged Areas // create object of areas to store the number of hurricanes involved in each area //# 5 // Calculating Maximum Hurricane Count // find most frequently affected area and the number of hurricanes involved //# 6 // Calculating the Deadliest Hurricane // find highest mortality hurricane and the number of deaths //# 7 // Rating Hurricanes by Mortality // categorize hurricanes in new object with mortality severity as key //# 8 Calculating Hurricane Maximum Damage // find highest damage inducing hurricane and its total cost //# 9 // Rating Hurricanes by Damage let damage_scale = {0: 0, 1: 100000000, 2: 1000000000, 3: 10000000000, 4: 50000000000}; // categorize hurricanes in new object with damage severity as key

Here’s what I came up with for the JavaScript version of the Hurricanes project:

Some of the tasks seemed repetitive, so I made some utility functions that could handle both objects and arrays.
The names for the functions are unusual for JavaScript because I took them from the my Python version for this project.

// names of hurricanes const names = ['Cuba I', 'San Felipe II Okeechobee', 'Bahamas', 'Cuba II', 'CubaBrownsville', 'Tampico', 'Labor Day', 'New England', 'Carol', 'Janet', 'Carla', 'Hattie', 'Beulah', 'Camille', 'Edith', 'Anita', 'David', 'Allen', 'Gilbert', 'Hugo', 'Andrew', 'Mitch', 'Isabel', 'Ivan', 'Emily', 'Katrina', 'Rita', 'Wilma', 'Dean', 'Felix', 'Matthew', 'Irma', 'Maria', 'Michael']; // months of hurricanes const months = ['October', 'September', 'September', 'November', 'August', 'September', 'September', 'September', 'September', 'September', 'September', 'October', 'September', 'August', 'September', 'September', 'August', 'August', 'September', 'September', 'August', 'October', 'September', 'September', 'July', 'August', 'September', 'October', 'August', 'September', 'October', 'September', 'September', 'October']; // years of hurricanes const years = [1924, 1928, 1932, 1932, 1933, 1933, 1935, 1938, 1953, 1955, 1961, 1961, 1967, 1969, 1971, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1998, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2005, 2005, 2005, 2007, 2007, 2016, 2017, 2017, 2018]; // maximum sustained winds (mph) of hurricanes const max_sustained_winds = [165, 160, 160, 175, 160, 160, 185, 160, 160, 175, 175, 160, 160, 175, 160, 175, 175, 190, 185, 160, 175, 180, 165, 165, 160, 175, 180, 185, 175, 175, 165, 180, 175, 160]; // areas affected by each hurricane const areas_affected = [['Central America', 'Mexico', 'Cuba', 'Florida', 'The Bahamas'], ['Lesser Antilles', 'The Bahamas', 'United States East Coast', 'Atlantic Canada'], ['The Bahamas', 'Northeastern United States'], ['Lesser Antilles', 'Jamaica', 'Cayman Islands', 'Cuba', 'The Bahamas', 'Bermuda'], ['The Bahamas', 'Cuba', 'Florida', 'Texas', 'Tamaulipas'], ['Jamaica', 'Yucatn Peninsula'], ['The Bahamas', 'Florida', 'Georgia', 'The Carolinas', 'Virginia'], ['Southeastern United States', 'Northeastern United States', 'Southwestern Quebec'], ['Bermuda', 'New England', 'Atlantic Canada'], ['Lesser Antilles', 'Central America'], ['Texas', 'Louisiana', 'Midwestern United States'], ['Central America'], ['The Caribbean', 'Mexico', 'Texas'], ['Cuba', 'United States Gulf Coast'], ['The Caribbean', 'Central America', 'Mexico', 'United States Gulf Coast'], ['Mexico'], ['The Caribbean', 'United States East coast'], ['The Caribbean', 'Yucatn Peninsula', 'Mexico', 'South Texas'], ['Jamaica', 'Venezuela', 'Central America', 'Hispaniola', 'Mexico'], ['The Caribbean', 'United States East Coast'], ['The Bahamas', 'Florida', 'United States Gulf Coast'], ['Central America', 'Yucatn Peninsula', 'South Florida'], ['Greater Antilles', 'Bahamas', 'Eastern United States', 'Ontario'], ['The Caribbean', 'Venezuela', 'United States Gulf Coast'], ['Windward Islands', 'Jamaica', 'Mexico', 'Texas'], ['Bahamas', 'United States Gulf Coast'], ['Cuba', 'United States Gulf Coast'], ['Greater Antilles', 'Central America', 'Florida'], ['The Caribbean', 'Central America'], ['Nicaragua', 'Honduras'], ['Antilles', 'Venezuela', 'Colombia', 'United States East Coast', 'Atlantic Canada'], ['Cape Verde', 'The Caribbean', 'British Virgin Islands', 'U.S. Virgin Islands', 'Cuba', 'Florida'], ['Lesser Antilles', 'Virgin Islands', 'Puerto Rico', 'Dominican Republic', 'Turks and Caicos Islands'], ['Central America', 'United States Gulf Coast (especially Florida Panhandle)']]; // damages (USD($)) of hurricanes let damages = ['Damages not recorded', '100M', 'Damages not recorded', '40M', '27.9M', '5M', 'Damages not recorded', '306M', '2M', '65.8M', '326M', '60.3M', '208M', '1.42B', '25.4M', 'Damages not recorded', '1.54B', '1.24B', '7.1B', '10B', '26.5B', '6.2B', '5.37B', '23.3B', '1.01B', '125B', '12B', '29.4B', '1.76B', '720M', '15.1B', '64.8B', '91.6B', '25.1B']; // deaths for each hurricane const deaths = [90,4000,16,3103,179,184,408,682,5,1023,43,319,688,259,37,11,2068,269,318,107,65,19325,51,124,17,1836,125,87,45,133,603,138,3057,74]; const conversion = { "K": 1000, "M": 1000000, "B": 1000000000, "T": 1000000000000 }; function clean(place_list) { const len = place_list.length; for (var i = 0; i < len; i++) { //place_list[i] = place_list[i].toLowerCase().trim() if (place_list[i] == "The Bahamas") { place_list[i] = "Bahamas"; } if (place_list[i].includes('Yucatn')) { place_list[i] = place_list[i].replace('Yucatn', 'Yucatan'); } if (place_list[i].includes('(')) { let open = place_list[i].indexOf('('); let close = place_list[i].indexOf(')'); let inside = place_list[i].slice(open+1 ,close); place_list[i] = place_list[i].slice(0, open); if (inside.startsWith('especially')) { inside = inside.substring(11); } place_list.push(inside); } } let j; j = place_list.indexOf('The Carolinas'); if (j > -1) { place_list.splice(j, 2, 'North Carolina', 'South Carolina'); } j = place_list.indexOf('Virgin Islands'); if (j > -1) { place_list.splice(j, 2, 'U.S. Virgin Islands', 'British Virgin Islands'); } j = place_list.indexOf('Antilles'); if (j > -1) { place_list.splice(j, 2, 'Greater Antilles', 'Lesser Antilles'); } } for (var i = 0; i < areas_affected.length; i++) { clean(areas_affected[i]); } /* for (var areas of areas_affected) { console.log(areas); } */ function isDigits(text) { let isAllDigits = true; var length = text.length; let attempt; for (var i = 0; i < length; i++) { attempt = text.charCodeAt(i) - 48; if ((attempt < 0) || (attempt > 9)) { return false; isAllDigits = false; break; } } return isAllDigits; } //# 1 // Update Recorded Damages function to_float(stuff) { if (typeof(stuff) == 'string') { if (Object.keys(conversion).includes(stuff[stuff.length - 1]) && isDigits(stuff[0])) { return parseFloat(stuff.slice(0, -1)) * conversion[stuff[stuff.length - 1]]; } else if (isDigits(stuff)) { return parseFloat(stuff); } else { return stuff; //return parseFloat(stuff); } } else if (Array.isArray(stuff)) { return stuff.map(to_float); } } damages.forEach( (val, index, arr) => { arr[index] = to_float(val); }); //console.log(damages); //# 2 // Create a Table let lists = [names, months, years, max_sustained_winds, areas_affected, damages, deaths]; let table = new Array(lists.length); for (var i in names) { table[i] = lists.map( arr => arr[i] ); } const column_names = ['Name', 'Month', 'Year', 'Max Sustained Wind', 'Areas Affected', 'Damage', 'Deaths']; function make_hurricane_dict(names, months, years, winds, areas, damage, deaths) { let dictionary = {}; const transpose = [names, months, years, winds, areas, damage, deaths]; let length = names.length; for (let i = 0; i < length; i++) { Object.assign( dictionary, { [transpose[0][i]]: { 'Name': transpose[0][i], 'Month': transpose[1][i], 'Year': transpose[2][i], 'Max Sustained Wind': transpose[3][i], 'Areas Affected': transpose[4][i], 'Damage': transpose[5][i], 'Deaths': transpose[6][i] } }); } return dictionary; } let hurricanes_dict = make_hurricane_dict(names, months, years, max_sustained_winds, areas_affected, damages, deaths); //# 3 // Organizing by Year function group(stuff, by, index_as_key, apply) { /* apply is a function to use on each item, whose output will be used to group the items */ let key_for; if ((apply == null) || !(apply)) { key_for = x => x; } else if (Array.isArray(apply)) { key_for = x => apply.indexOf(x); } else if (typeof(apply) == 'object') { key_for = x => apply[x]; } else { key_for = apply; } let grouped = {}; let indecies = Object.keys(stuff); if (by == null){ for (let i of indecies) { let current; //current = stuff[i] if (apply == null) { current = stuff[i]; } else { current = key_for(stuff[i]); } if (grouped[current] == null) { grouped[current] = []; } grouped[current].push(i); //list of indecies } } else { for (let i of indecies) { let current; //current = stuff[i][by] if (apply == null) { current = stuff[i][by]; } else { current = key_for(stuff[i][by]); } let to_add; if (index_as_key) { to_add = i; } else { to_add = stuff[i]; } if (grouped[current] == null) { grouped[current] = []; } grouped[current].push(to_add); //list of indecies } } return grouped; } function make_dict_by_year(data) { return group(data, 'Year', false); }; // create a new dictionary of hurricanes with year and key let hurricanes_by_year = make_dict_by_year(hurricanes_dict); //# 4 // Counting Damaged Areas function get_freq_of_list_items_in_col(stuff, column) { let frequencies = {}; let indecies = Object.keys(stuff); if (column == null) { for (var i of indecies) { for (let this_one of stuff[i]) { // of ??? if (frequencies[this_one] == null) { frequencies[this_one] = 1; } else { frequencies[this_one] += 1; } } } } else { for (var i of indecies) { for (let this_one of stuff[i][column]) { // of ??? if (frequencies[this_one] == null) { frequencies[this_one] = 1; } else { frequencies[this_one] += 1; } } } } return frequencies; }; let hurricane_count_by_area = get_freq_of_list_items_in_col(hurricanes_dict, 'Areas Affected'); /* for (let area in hurricane_count_by_area) { console.log(area + ": " + hurricane_count_by_area[area]); } */ //# 5 // Calculating Maximum Hurricane Count // function to get maximum [and its index] // (only for numbers) function max_of(stuff, include_index, column) { let indecies = Object.keys(stuff); let maximum = Math.NaN; let index_of_max; if (column == null) { for (var i of indecies) { if (typeof(stuff[i]) == 'number') { if (isNaN(maximum)) { maximum = stuff[i]; index_of_max = i; } else if (stuff[i] > maximum) { maximum = stuff[i]; index_of_max = i; } } } } else { for (var i of indecies) { if (typeof(stuff[i][column]) == 'number') { if (isNaN(maximum)) { maximum = stuff[i][column]; index_of_max = i; } else if (stuff[i][column] > maximum) { maximum = stuff[i][column]; index_of_max = i; } } } } if (include_index) { return [index_of_max, maximum]; } else { return maximum; } } function get_most_frequent_area(hurricane_dict) { let freqs = get_freq_of_list_items_in_col(hurricane_dict, 'Areas Affected'); return max_of(freqs, true); } // find most frequently affected area and the number of hurricanes involved let most_affected, most_hurricanes; [most_affected, most_hurricanes] = get_most_frequent_area(hurricanes_dict); console.log(`The greatest number of cat5 hurricanes was at location: ${most_affected}, number of hurricanes: ${most_hurricanes}`); console.log(' '); //# 6 // Calculating the Deadliest Hurricane let deadliest_index, max_deaths, deadliest_hurricane; [deadliest_hurricane, max_deaths] = max_of(hurricanes_dict, true, "Deaths"); console.log("deadliest hurricane: " + deadliest_hurricane); console.log("deaths: " + max_deaths); console.log(); //# 7 // Rating Hurricanes by Mortality let mortality_scale = { 0: 0, 1: 100, 2: 500, 3: 1000, 4: 10000 }; // */ //mortality_scale = [0, 100, 500, 1000, 10000]; function classify_into_bracket(value, brackets) { let pairs = Object.entries(brackets); pairs.sort(); let category, upper_bound; for (let pair of pairs) { [category, upper_bound] = pair; if (value <= upper_bound) { return category; } } let lastIndex = parseInt(pairs[pairs.length-1][0]); if (!isNaN(lastIndex)) { return lastIndex + 1; } } function classify_all(data, brackets, by) { if (Array.isArray(data)) { if (by == null) { return data.map(value => classify_into_bracket(value, brackets) ); } else { return data.map(value => classify_into_bracket(value[by], brackets) ); } } else { let returnedObject = {}; if (by == null) { for (let value in data) { returnedObject[value] = classify_into_bracket(data[value], brackets); } } else { for (let value in data) { returnedObject[value] = classify_into_bracket(data[value][by], brackets); } } return returnedObject; } } function get_hurricane_by_severity_from_damage(storm_data) { const classify = x => classify_into_bracket(x, damage_scale); return group(storm_data, 'Damage', false, classify); } // categorize hurricanes in new dictionary with mortality severity as key let classify = x => classify_into_bracket(x, mortality_scale) let hurricanes_by_severity = group(hurricanes_dict, 'Deaths', false, classify); //# 8 // Calculating Hurricane Maximum Damage // find highest damage inducing hurricane and its total cost let costliest_index, costliest_hurricane, max_cost; [costliest_hurricane, max_cost] = max_of(hurricanes_dict, true, 'Damage'); console.log("costliest hurricane: " + costliest_hurricane); console.log("damage: $" + max_cost); console.log(); //# 9 // Rating Hurricanes by Damage let damage_scale = { 0: 0, 1: 100000000, 2: 1000000000, 3: 10000000000, 4: 50000000000 }; // */ //damage_scale = [0, 100000000, 1000000000, 10000000000, 50000000000]; let hurricane_severity_by_damage = classify_all(hurricanes_dict, damage_scale, 'Damage'); function get_hurricane_by_severity_from_damage(storm_data) { //const classify = x => classify_into_bracket(x, damage_scale); const classify = x => (typeof(x) == "number") ? classify_into_bracket(x, damage_scale) : 0; return group(storm_data, 'Damage', false, classify); } // categorize hurricanes in new dictionary with damage severity as key hurricanes_by_severity = get_hurricane_by_severity_from_damage(hurricanes_dict); // categorize hurricanes in new dictionary with damage severity as key classify = x => (typeof(x) == "number") ? classify_into_bracket(x, damage_scale) : 0; hurricane_by_severity = group(hurricanes_dict, 'Damage', false, classify); // display hurricanes_by_severity console.log("hurricanes by category according to damage scale:") for (let category in hurricanes_by_severity) { let line = category + ": ["; let namesList = []; for (let storm of hurricanes_by_severity[category]) { namesList.push(storm['Name']); } line += namesList.join(", ") + "]"; console.log(line); }

Here’s the stuff I made to test my code. (It also includes a lot of functions that I didn’t use in the final version of the project).
link: https://www.codecademy.com/workspaces/61400c1d6b00c4963fb899f6

If you have any comments or suggestions, please reply.