Https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-ruby/lessons/a-night-at-the-movies/exercises/nice-work-1?action=resume_content_item

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-ruby/lessons/a-night-at-the-movies/exercises/nice-work-1?action=resume_content_item

movies = {
Anchorman: 4.5,
}

puts "What would you like to do? "

choice = gets.chomp

case choice
when “add”
puts “What movie would you like to add?”
title = gets.chomp
puts “What is your rating for this movie?”
rating = gets.chomp
if movies[title.to_sym].nil?
** movies[title.to_sym] = rating.to_i**
puts “#{title} has been added!”
else
puts “Movie already exists in hash!”
end
when “update”
puts "Input movie title: "
title = gets.chomp
puts “Movie is not in hash.”
else
puts "New movie rating: "
rating = gets.chomp
movies[title.to_sym] = rating.to_i
end
when “display”
movies.each do |movie, rating|
puts “#{movie}: #{rating}”
end
when “delete”
puts "Title to be deleted: "
title = gets.chomp
puts “Movie is not in hash.”
else
movies.delete(title.to_sym)
end
else
puts “Error!”
end

Here’s my code. I got through the whole lab and it said I passed everything. However, now that I finished and playing around with the lab, whenever I try to add something and then display it, it stills only shows the initial symbol inputted of Anchorman. I’m confused where I messed up and how I got everything to pass yet my program doesn’t work how it should.
Also the second part I bolded I am not sure if that is correct coding so please let me know.
Thanks in advance!

The program we created above can only take one step per session and nothing is carried over. To be able to display new content we will need a loop around the command input so it repeats while our hash is still in memory.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.