HTML on MDN Web Docs: Debugging

In he MDN debugging HTML article there´s a link to a github exercise that says: 1. First, download our debug-example demo and save it locally. This demo is deliberately written with some built-in errors for us to explore (the HTML markup is said to be badly-formed , as opposed to well-formed ).

Can someone help me i don´t know how to download the code.

Hello!

Since there’s not a lot of code, the easiest thing to do is probably just to copy-paste the code from the GH file and into a .html file locally. Once you have to download multiple files/lots of code etc then you can look into stuff like cloning/downloaded the repository but that’s really not needed here imo.

Happy coding! :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you, i appreciate you help!

1 Like

I’m feeling quite stupid now . . .

how do you " copy-paste the code from the GH file and into a .html file locally"?

You need to download a code editor like Visual Studio Code, check the following link for more options 17 Best Code Editors

Once you install the code create an html archive to copy the content from the github repository

hope it helps!

Thanks for your help Alex. This is really appreciated. Sorry for the delay in replying. I’ve been away.

One of my favourite quotes is ‘A person who asks a stupid question may look stupid for a minute, but a person who doesn’t remains stupid for ever’.

I’m very interested in coding but really know very little. I’ve found everything in the Full Stack Engineer pretty easy to understand so far. However, in the spirit of the above quote:

I don’t really know what it means to ‘install the code’. I assume you mean within the code editor.
I don’t know what an html archive is (or how to create one). Is this essentially a folder in which I save text files of html code?
I don’t know what a ‘github repository’ is.

OK, it’s about 45 minutes after I wrote the last questions and I’ve understood what this basically means. However, for the incredible developers of this course and wonderful people like you who are helping quite hopeless people like me the sentence:

Once you install the code create an html archive to copy the content from the github repository

is pretty intimidating and bewildering. Having spent all this time doing searches to work out what this means and how to do it I can suggest this would have been made much easier if there was a chapter on the course about code editors, saving code files on your computer and how to run them.

I really am grateful for your patience and help. I appreciate it must be painful sometimes!