HTML Help

I need a little help. I try to do what I’m told but I can’t understand my mistake. Please help!!!

What is it you are told to do? What error message are you being given? Please help us out by posting a link to the exercise page that is giving you trouble. Thanks.

https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-html-elements/lessons/intro-to-html/exercises/intro?action=resume_content_item&course_redirect=learn-html

thanks!!

I had to type in my name, I did that but I don’t understand what is wrong

Did it look something like this?

<h1>Wee Gillis</h1>

Notice that there is no punctuation since HTML is raw text.

it looked more like: [<marah>][</said>]

That might be the problem. It does not come close to the simple instructions. Do you really want to learn, or just fool around?

<h1></h1>

This is a recognized top level heading element. The name, h1 is in the specifications and takes on default styles and semantic meaning that is also recognized for its importance in a document by search engines and other user agents.

We can name HTML elements anything we choose, but if we do not give them any definition they are meaningless. HTML is not meaningless. In fact the primary role of markup language is lend meaning to the document, by way of structure and organization.

Now if the instruction is to type your name between the already provided H1 tags, then that is what you need to do to avoid any problems.

<h1>Your Name</h1>

Leave the tags alone, and change only the inner text.

I’m a bit new to coding. I started with the JavaScript course which I notice is completely different from HTML. I know that I have to learn HTML first but its a little more complicated. Of course, I wanna learn, it’s why I’m here.

Thanks for clearing information, but I have another question. So whenever I use HTML I will always have to use h1, and nothing else.

HTML is actually not complicated at all. There is just a lot to learn starting out and it looks daunting. Truth is there is not a steep learning curve and once you get familiar with the HTML element list, and their allowed attributes, you’ll be away. CSS is layered on top of this, as is JavaScript. They all work together as one unit, each with their uniquely defined roles.

Pour yourself into HTML, and don’t be in a hurry to jump to the bleeding edge. Rather, focus on the core elements and document structure, namely, outline. Study the rudiments and the W3C recommendations to understand why things are the way they are.

Use validator.w3.org religiously so you learn how to construct well formed documents. Miss out on this skill and you miss out on the big prize at the end… A valid, accessible and usable web interface. It all stems from the root document, the HTML.

Do you recommend starting with HTML, because it’s like the skeleton of the website? Then moving onto to javascript (the interacting part of the website), and then CSS, the designing. Or is there another way.? Because I’ve watched a couple of videos on how these 3 languages work together but its all kind of confusing on where to start.

Of the web page, or document, yes. Everything stems from the core document. That is what the DOM is constructed from.

We cannot present content with CSS, at least not in an explicit and deliberate way. The core document is how we lay in a foundation, along with explicit, imported and derived (meaning user influenced or provided) content. The HTML document is the interface through which we communicate, both to the user (as is normal in a static environment) and by the user through interaction and data inputs.

HTML is essentially the template into which we insert all our data points in a documented rendering for dissemination by our users. The skill needed to make this interface user friendly and device compatible is directly bound to HTML. Granted, there are a lot of moving parts in a production environment, but at the learning stage, the HTML is the only moving part. Dedicate yourself to it without style sheets or scripts until you are totally comfortable with it and can generate valid documents in your sleep.

I’m starting to understand what you are talking about. I guess what your hinting is that CSS isn’t a big deal, and Javascript + HTML= Good. Coding

and I realize that this may be a little off topic but how do people get this good at coding? How long does it really take?

On the contrary, it is a big deal, just not when it comes to content. HTML is the content body, CSS is the presentation governance, and JavaScript is the behavior administration. All three APIs are geared to one thing… The document rendering and user interaction.

CSS is sooo amazing it just boggles the mind. There is no end of possibilities, now or ten years in the past. I’d rather search for a way to do something with CSS than with script. The more ways we can present a fully functional web page without script the better. That goes a long way toward making a page universally usable.

Script is important when server interactions are required. It is not important now to explore this, or even CSS. Focus on HTML and gradually bring CSS into the picture. When you are well enough along, then work out ways to bring JavaScript into the picture. Learn them all.

Another question (could possibly sound stupid): HTML, CSS, and JavaScript are obviously 3 different languages. If I possibly get to the point where I understand all 3 languages and I’m going to make a website. Would it not work because it couldn’t tell the difference between 3 different languages?

The fact that they are three distinct languages does not set them at parallel to each other the way we could compare JavaScript, Python, Ruby, C, Java, etc. which are all multipurpose executables. HTML is a declarative, static document. Its content is text, as is its markup language. There is no programming in HTML. We merely visualize the document in its ordered state and assign structural elements to represent that order.

CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) is a language, but it too is not a programming language; and, it is explicitly declarative.

One thing we eventually catch on to is the inherent gentleness with which HTML and CSS treat our errors. There is nothing you cannot type into an HTML page or a CSS style sheet that will break the browser. It may queer up the page, but that’s all. Since there is no program there is no compiler or execution context.

HTML we type in that makes no sense to the browser is ignored, and the same goes for CSS. There is no potential of infinite loops or locked pages. I highly recommend you explore raw HTML in its fullest before going into CSS. Learn all the default styles of a raw document. Explore all the HTML elements in the raw state. It will be well worth your while.

In the end, though, CSS and JavaScript are going to come into play. There is no separating them. Key is to recognize their importance by each form of contribution to the whole.

Furniture and possessions is the content of a home, the house is the HTML, its design and decor is the CSS, and the lights and smoke alarms are the JavaScript. They all play a critical role in the complete environment.

You keep on bringing it up, and I’ve heard other people say it, but I’m a bit confused on what you mean when HTML is a raw text, yet I don’t know what that really means.(sorry if it seems like a dumb question)

raw text is what we type into a text editor such as Notepad. Plain ASCII is raw text. HTML is a text based language, text essentially being whatever characters we type from the keyboard.

Open your text editor and type something. Save it. The Name field is probably waiting for you to type something in front of the already present, .txt extension. That is a raw text media file format.

The HTML parsing engine in our browser is able to scan raw text for meaningful signals, such as carat wrapped terms, (<element>) and separate them from the general text. Search engines do this in reverse. They strip the HTML and index only the text left over. The purpose of markup language is to be able to facilitate both renderings.

This all seems so broad!

It is broad. Far reaching, in fact. There is a totality about it.

filename.txt

tells the computer to expect raw text;

filename.html

tells the computer to expect raw text, but to parse it for HTML characteristics, and if found, treat it as HTML.

Both files are raw text.