HTML From Scracth

Hello everyone,

My question isn't about an excercise, per se. I am brand new to coding and am going through the exercises currently.

But I am also practicing in TextEdit. When I transpose (typing, not copy/pasting) any html tags to a textedit document, save it, and reopen it it open in my browser (any browser works, it seems) showing the code and not how I wish for it to be displayed.

Yes, I am saving it as a .html
Yes, I am double checking that it is opening in my browser (and not the "TextEdit" program)

If anyone here can offer some insight to why it is not displaying properly I would greatl appreciate it.

Thanks.

Can you upload the files (dropbox, whatever) and share them with us?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/54dc2hqnz60ty58/test.html?dl=0

I deleted the other ones so I just made another one real quick.

it is displaying output fine:

of course this:

<p class="p1">&lt;html&gt;</p>
<p class="p1">&lt;head&gt;</p>
<p class="p1">&lt;body&gt;</p>
<p class="p1">Test</p>
<p class="p1">&lt;h1&gt; Random words here&lt;/h1&gt;</p>
<p class="p1">&lt;/body&gt;</p>
<p class="p1">&lt;head&gt;</p>
<p class="p1">&lt;/html&gt;</p>

will show html output, &lt; (lesser then) and &gt; (greater then) are special ascii characters to display < and > on webpages. Or do you see everything?

I see everything. No headers, bolds, anything. When I look at the file as a website it just shows the actual html.

so you actually see this:

Can you be more specific? I can't see what you can see, what for you might be a logic assumption doesn't have to be the case for me

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.