How to shut down Jupyter notebook in terminal on a Macbook:

I am trying to shut down Jupyter session in my terminal but Ctrl-C doesn’t work for me as I am using a Mac. Any advice?

In the below link only Ctrl - C is shown
https://www.codecademy.com/articles/how-to-use-jupyter-notebooks-py3

I’m note 100% sure but at a guess Cmd-c would be the most likely. Did you start it from a terminal? Normally it provides some details about the notebook but there should also be a message explaining how to kill it.

1 Like

I tried Cmd - C but it didn’t work.

Just close/exit the terminal window (as well as the web browser window/tab where the notebook is open). That terminates the processes running in the Terminal window.

1 Like

Using jupyter notebook stop seems to kill off the normal server (if for some reason you really didn’t want to kill the open terminal window) but you’d need to suspend the process or open a second terminal window to use it. I’ve always found it weird the server remains open no matter what you try and do on your browser; bit of a pain for those opening a single session for themselves. Perhaps there’s a proper way to do this but jupyter notebook stop might also be as clean as it gets; if it’s just your server though kill it any way you please :grin:

1 Like

I usually have multiple terminal windows open so closing one to terminate a Jupyter session isn’t an issue.

Though, I almost exclusively use Colab, so, no Terminal necessary. :slight_smile:

1 Like