How to not get bored with coding?

I started coding around a month ago with the analyzing financial data with python course because I am a junior in high school and want to do finance when I am in college. Around 2 weeks in, I got very bored and took a 2 week break. I am restarting and trying to stay into it, but I’m not sure how. Does anyone have any tips on how to not get bored? Am I doing it wrong? Should I try a new course?

1 Like

Hello @zisto, welcome to the forums! If you’re getting bored, you should ask, why? If it is because the content is too easy, then maybe just do a quick course with SQL, and move on to something else (you can always revisit things later if you want to!). If you’re bored because you just don’t like the subject matter, then I would absolutely change course. Even if you wanted to stick my analytical languages, you could learn Python, and then Pandas, which might be more interesting since you’re learning a full language, then a library. Or you could learn R.
Happy coding!

1 Like

“We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals”. - Quarry worker’s creed (from the Pragmatic Programmer)

A suggestion that helps me (I have to study it about 6+hours plus a day) is that jargon is your worst enemy. It literally alienates you from the reality of what you’re doing. Take the time to understand words and give them a context that you find exciting or meaningful. In high school I’ll be honest SQL was the worst for me, but now that I’m relearning it’s not so bad, because let my mind imagine structures and stories as to what it can add up to.

Also, try to sprinkle different aspects here and there for variety (so a little SQL one day, Python the other etc.

But definitely don’t try forcing the issue, I ended up hating coding for the longest time but I think personally it was just due to my mindset being very rigid.

2 Likes

Thanks! I think I’ll try something else for awhile.

1 Like

Thank you! I will definitely try to get some more variety.

Also consider changing your learning style. Sometimes I voice memo myself little notes and just listen back later. Then when I come back and have to type out the exercises, it comes out like a flash.

Everybody learns different, it’s worth trying out different methods too if you’re curious.

1 Like

zisto, start from the point of your interests. What interests you in life? Write down in this thread at least 3 things you really like in life.

1 Like

I really like video games, business, and politics.

So if you had to realize those through coding what would you build?

You have to eventually get specific with games, business, and politics. Narrow it down to smaller points of interest. Map them out as clouds on paper with connecting lines of interest. Politics --> cable TV commentary --> top TV commentators ----> truth versus non-truth —> shaping of an electorate —> get out the vote —> are voting rights all we really have —> countries without voting rights —> dictatorships in Southeast Asia ----> southeast Asian tropical fruit ----> I really like mangos ----> website on all the types of mangos in the world and recipes for smoothies …

From there, within the world of programming we build websites (communicate a view, gather other peoples’ opinions, graph results). We build programs (utilities to help other people, lists of things like resources, books, movies, nearest hospitals within a 1-mile radius). We create databases (all the vegetarian restaurants and their menus, all the speeches of the Dalai Lama, library collections of books or all Jazz recordings by cool era jazz players).

So, to fire up your interest in coding, you have to use what you like as the foundation.

2 Likes

this is good, thank you