How to learn system integrations with APIs

Hi All,

I am in need of advice on where to start to learn how to integrate systems that provide APIs. I feel like every time I look into this topic I am met with an overflow of information and no clear path forward.

In my day job we are frequently implementing software that tout that they have API access, but may not have a custom integration to move data to/from the appropriate primary source software.

I would like to learn how to make the appropriate calls to gather data from an API, store it somewhere temporary so that I transform it as need, and then feed it to the next API so that the data can seamlessly integrate from one system to the next.

I feel like I can’t be the only person that is a bit lost on this! Any suggestions?

Thanks! :heart:

Hello.

Your question is very wide. There are several popular API types, the most popular, in my opinion, is REST APIs. If it is your case, then I know at least three cources on Codecademy which contain some information about REST API, but, as I know, only one about building client applications: https://www.codecademy.com/learn/connecting-front-end-to-back-end . Not so much information but it is point to start if you familiar with JavaScript.

If you build web-applications then you can also take a look at RESTful Web Clients [Book]

But there is no universal answer to your question without additional information about APIs and programming languages that you use. And the primary source of information about API is documentation for this API.

Hope, I could help.