How to commit?

Hi, sorry for the misleading title.

It seems as though I have a problem with commitment. I love programming, I’ve always loved it since I was a kid, the mere idea of being able to communicate with the machine is fascinating to me. But I can’t seem to be able to continue with a course beyond 70% progress. I start off the course all excited and passionate, but after a while I lose interest and start slacking off, until I eventually stop completely.

Does anyone know any tips or tricks, motivations or ways to keep the interest going? For my C# course I had a motive that I now know was a wrong motive and completely counterproductive, I had a piece of code that was broken and I really wanted it to work, I went ahead with C# course so I can fix it, and once I was able to, I lost interest in C# and didn’t continue with the course.

Any comments, shared stories, tips, thoughts would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Good day.

1 Like

git commit -m "just do the thing!"

In all seriousness, though, there are two reasons why I’m here to expand my programming knowledge:

1. I “code” in my job. Granted, I’m a network guy and not a “proper” developer but the amount of time I’ve saved myself (and my colleagues, and my eventual successor) through automation, scripting, or the odd custom app where I can is insane. Python has been a great help in this, and I picked up the basics by doing the Python 2 course here a few years ago. :slight_smile:

2. I occasionally have an idea for something I’d like to build, but don’t necessarily have the knowledge to get everything done.

I’ve found quite regularly that having an end goal in mind gives me something to work towards, and that’s much more motivating than simply sitting down and telling myself “right, I guess I have to do another lesson on X…”

You might find that having a “real world” project to work on gives you a similar impetus to expand your knowledge - which, hopefully, you’ll be able to do through an appropriate CC course or by asking us here. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Codecademy posted a great article on their blog, here it is.

3 Likes