How to apply what I have learned so far in Codecademy?

Hi team! So I have been learning Python via Codecademy and I had a question regarding reallife application. How do I apply what I have learned about Python to real life? I am a student just going into high school and have recently started coding. My plan is to thoroughly learn as many programming languages as I can so that I am better equipped for jobs in the future. Also, I would love to have at least one published app before graduating high school. So, back to my original question… how can I use my knowledge of the Python language (and others which I will learn after Python) in real life? Do I download and try to figure out how to set up an IDE? Just stick to Codecademy until a job opportunity comes up? Just focus on learning as many languages as possible?

This exercise (https://www.codecademy.com/courses/learn-python-3/lessons/python-control-flow/exercises/if-statements) in particular is what drove me to post this question. How would I incorporate this piece of code in a computer’s code? Could this be applied to reallife? Do people actually add this type of code into their devices?

1 Like

Hello @julia_ayrapetyan. I good way to practise what you’ve learnt is to do small projects-star off small, and get to longer projects as you get better.

An example would be-write code that can tell me if the input provided matches the text I want it to. Then you can build on that-create a function that contains that code, and checks a thousand (or whatever number you like) pieces of text. Make this an object, and apply this object on another project. Try and make projects open ended, so you can continue to build on them as you acquire more skills.

A website that is quite good for finding interesting challenges on is Codewars. It gives you small projects to complete that gets you looking at the docs, etc for more info/built in methods.

I would say to learn a few languages-maybe Python, HTML&CSS, maybe JS-to complement HTML/CSS and then another if you choose-maybe C++. However, you’ll find that once you’ve learnt one language, say Python, it becomes easier to learn the others, so I wouldn’t focus too much on just learning other languages. If you want to use Python, try learning as much as possible about Python-its main libraries (don’t memorise every method, but become familiar with them), learn how it is compiled, etc. If you then decide that you want to do a different language, the skills you picked up from Python should be very useful.

If statements can be very useful within many applications/programs. Consider a computer game. Consider the following parameter that the game designers want: “If the character hits an obstacle, then give the user a message.” The skeletal workings of the code would contain an if statement:

hit_obstacle = True
if hit_obstacle == True: 
  print("You hit an obstacle!")

Of course there would be more workings to the code than this, but the conditional block-the if would still be required.

I hope this helps-and congrats if you made it all the way through this essay!

3 Likes

Lol yes I did make it through your essay @codeneutrino and I found it very helpful! Thank you for that. One more question though… where do I do these projects and where do I get the instructions for them (assuming I want to do an independent one)? Do I just need to create a login and use the website you linked or are there other options as well? I got atom to use however I was not able to operate it properly and due to the fact that I have a limited amount of time I can devote to coding each day, I decided to just stick to Codecademy. Do you think just following through with the lesson plans provided would be as productive as doing projects? Do you think it makes a difference on how well you regurgitate what you have learned?
I’m sorry to ask so many questions…

1 Like

Hello!

If you want to use the website, then yes, all you have to do is create an account-you’ll find the various challenges and their guidelines appear. There is a built in compiler for the language you choose. If you want to create an independent project, then you might want to use something like repl, which is just an online compiler for most languages.

I think that doing a mix of projects and lessons would be helpful, however if you feel you fully understand the basics (variables, etc), then it might be quicker to do more lessons, then do projects once you finish the lessons. That being said, if you have PRO, it would be worth doing the projects that are within the lesson plan.

It is more about whether you can apply what you’ve learnt, than just regurgitating it. If you feel that given a worded set of instructions, you could turn them into working code, that tells how well you’re progressing. Doing projects does give you a good indication of whether you know how to apply what you’ve learnt, and therefore how well you know it.

No problem-I hope this helps!

1 Like

Awesome, thank you @codeneutrino!

1 Like

I would keep tabs on a few subreddits of the languages you’re interested in. Often, people share projects that they make (and even the code).

For me it’s always useful to catalyze ideas of what I can do differently in my own projects.

2 Likes