How long is good learning

Hi guys,

I have set myself a goal that by the end of Summer I want to be at least proficient in Python. However I am trying to get as many lessons in as possible but I also find that the lessons do not stick and I catch myself, forgetting stuff I already learned and/or going over the same lessons just to make them stick.
I even make me little cheatsheets which I have stuck to the wall above my computer.
My question is, What is your experience ? As in, how many hours are you studying a day and do you have maybe some tips , how to retain the material best. I’m putting a lot of stress on me by setting this goal and maybe it’s too ambitious to be proficient by the end of summer.
Thanks for your input.
Kind regards
Lukas

1 Like

Trying to code daily is great, but don’t overdo it staring at a screen for hours. I recommend using the Codecademy Go app for reviewing/retaining new concepts. I try to do the review and practice for whatever course/lesson I’m learning before each project. What I do and find effective at making you focus but also giving you time to relax and not burn yourself out is the Pomodoro Technique.

2 Likes

Thanks bro, that is good advice, I will implement this in my routine.

1 Like

Personally, I’m very creative person and during lessons new project idea just falls on my head. So after finishing course I like to make some kind of project(small, big, just start project) with new gained knowledge. Therefore I implement eveything that I have learned in course. For example of projects I have done, random movie selection, mp3 downloader, eIndex for students. Just to see it can be anything you can think of.

1 Like

Wow, I’m 42 and going to college (UK) for the first time, doing a computer science course.
I was thinking about doing a code camp but I also feel that I will be completely lost and not knowledgeable enough to do so (and I don’t have £9 - 12000 lying about :joy:).
Thank you very much for the encouraging words :heart: and yes, I’m determined to learn every day to keep material fresh.
Kind regards
Lukas

2 Likes

Hi Kvemzi,
I like your idea, I’m just not a creative person at all ( bugs me major, I guess you have it or you don’t ) but I save all my codecademy projects in my VS code and go over them, play and change. Also I try to break them to get familiar with error codes. Thank you for your advice.
Kind regards
Lukas

This is a normal practice, I also studied for a long time. If you do not work on yourself every day, then everything is very quickly forgotten. By the way, I dropped out of college and took courses in phyton. I got tired of being constantly asked to write something about ethos, for example, I used https://paperap.com/free-papers/ethos/ for this. It was the right decision for me. I definitely don’t regret this act, but it was very scary. The parents were shocked at the time.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing!