How is 'word of' operating here?

I am trying to solve the Mini Linter project on my own but tons of things are confusing including this:

// This is a string:

let story = 'Last weekend, I took literally the most beautiful bike ride of my life. The route is called "The 9W to Nyack" and it actually stretches all the way from Riverside Park in Manhattan to South Nyack, New Jersey. It\'s really an adventure from beginning to end! It is a 48 mile loop and it basically took me an entire day. I stopped at Riverbank State Park to take.';

//declaring a loop
for (word of story){
console.log(word)}

// I got:

L
a
s
t

w
e
e
k
e
n
d

I

t
o
o
k

l
i
t
e
r
a
l
l
y

Why is this happening since word is not a special operator in javascript and I did not previously make word a function? Even the person that solved the Lint question did not clarify this.

hi @greenbrain ,

thanks for posting this question. Although I’d love to explain much but the documentation here can explain better and detailed for your reference.

Stay curious! Keep coding!

Story is a string so this will iterate through every character of the string, one character at a time.

You’ll likely need to use .split somewhere in that line or before that line to make the loop work the way you want it to.

Here’s some documentation:

or just search “JavaScript string methods”.