How is everybody doing?

students = [lloyd,alice,tyler]
def average(data):
    return sum(data) / float(len(data))
def get_average(student):
    return average(student["homework"]) * 0.1 + average(student["quizzes"]) * 0.3 + average(student["tests"]) * 0.6
def get_letter_grade(score):
    if score >= 90:
        return "A"
    elif score >= 80:
        return "B"
    elif score >= 70:
        return "C"
    elif score >= 60:
        return "D"
    else:
        return "F"
def get_class_average(class_list):
    sumavg = 0
    for student in class_list:
        sumavg += get_average(student)
    return sumavg / float(len(class_list))
print get_class_average(students)
print get_letter_grade(get_class_average(students))

One of the following is missing or broken when we tried to use it: alice, lloyd, tyler, students, get_class_average, get_letter_grade

I don’t get what to do at this point…

What error do you get?.

One of the following is missing or broken when we tried to use it: alice, lloyd, tyler, students, get_class_average, get_letter_grade

Sometimes you should also post the instruction to get a better understanding if you didn’t understand it. If I’m correct your instruction says

1.Write a function average that takes a list of numbers and returns the average.
   Define a function called average that has one argument, numbers.
   Inside that function, call the built-in sum() function with the numbers list as a parameter. Store the result in a variable called total.
   Like the example above, use float() to convert total and store the result in total.
   Divide total by the length of the numbers list. Use the built-in len() function to calculate that.
   Return that result.

I don’t see your total variable, and your float should be your total variable not len() function, so when your function gets to the point where average is called and the interpreter runs your code it doesn’t get what it expected or wants, no total variable.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.