How does the program know what actually '.sides' is?

Capture

Hi @textrockstar39356,

This statement, within the __init__ method of Square, assigns a value to the instance variable, sides, for all new instances of the Square type …

self.sides = 4

what is an ‘instance variable’ could you please elaborate?

An instance variable is a variable for which there is a copy for each object of a particular type. For example, due to the manner in which you have defined Square, there will be a copy of the variable, sides, for each instance of Square that you create. In your code, you have created an instance of Square and assigned it to my_shape. Therefore, my_shape has its own copy of sides, which you are able to display, using print.

Since every square has four sides, you could have instead created a class variable by doing this prior to the __init__ method …

sides = 4

Then a single copy of the sides variable would belong to the entire class.

does instance mean object? and when did I create a variable named sides? it just said 'self.sides = 4’
but no any variable was created.

Yes, an instance is an object. When we use the term instance we are usually making the point that we have an object of a particular class or type, for example an “instance of the Square class”. However, we can use the term in a more general sense, if we want.

when did I create a variable named sides? it just said 'self.sides = 4’
but no any variable was created.

When an instance of a class is created, the __init__ method for that class executes automatically. By placing this statement in the __init__ method for Square

self.sides = 4

… you arranged for that statement to execute automatically whenever a new Square instance is created.

Then you created a new instance of Square with this statement …

my_shape = Square()

By including the variable, self, as the first parameter of a method, we are arranging for self to refer to the current instance of the class within that method. Therefore, as you assign the new instance of Square to my_square, that variable, self, is acting on behalf of my_square, and my_square winds up having its own copy of the variable, sides.

I really didn’t understand what did you mean to say?

Are you referring to the quoted phrase regarding no variable being created? That is from your post here.

This statement created the instance variable, sides

self.sides = 4

… when the __init__ method executed automatically in response to this statement that created an instance of Square

my_shape = Square()

I just want to ask in “self.sides = 4” how does the computer understands “sides” is a variable here as we hadn’t defined “sides” earlier.

You are correct that we did not define sides earlier. This statement that you quoted defines that variable, as soon as it executes …

self.sides = 4

Since, within the __init__ method, self refers to the new instance that we are creating and assigning to my_shape, the expression my_shape.sides refers to a valid defined variable by the time your print statement executes.