How do you stay motivated?

So, if any of you out there are having trouble staying motivated, I recommend doing every single project and challenge. For me, being able to see real results, and being able to work through things on my own helps fuel me to complete more. I’ve only been on here 8 days and I am already able to do some pretty decent things because I try and apply every single concept before I forget it. Seeing the progress, and knowing what I eventually will be able to do helps a lot. It is going to be really tricky when you get past the basic stuff and you’re trying to do your first loops or functions, but just stick with it. In no time at all, if you keep trying it just kinda clicks and things get easy from that point on.

5 Likes

Hey!
I have just started the 30-day challenge and am really motivated, however I know that there might be times where I won’t be as motivated as now.
When this moments come I try to meet up with people that is studying the same or similar concepts.
Soo… if anyone is interested on improving together please give me a shout! Lets get this challenge done!

Hello everyone.
I joined the 30 day challenge today. I am learning on my own. I am attending local meet up groups that focus on code challenges so you can gain some experience working with other people while solving a problem, and also to simply be around people with similar mindset. I am shy but I really am trying and pushing the limits of comfort zones all the time. I realized that I do not lack motivation. It’s the support system, the day to day support to really help me retain what I am learning, that I feel I desperately need the harder things get. There is so much I just don’t know that I often don’t even know how to express what I don’t know or how to even look it up. It’s frustrating and quite demoralizing. But I am here and I am pushing through that as well and remaining hopeful.

Good luck to you all! Let’s get it!

3 Likes

hi am learning how to develop website and i want also to learn java. when learning let all your problems go stop all negative questions we only make this harder to our self’s give your brain a perfect information. always be happy and smile :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I agree on that statement. :slight_smile:

Before you begin to learn Java, do you fully understand the difference between Java and JavaScript? Many coders do not understand that they are not the same, so I just want to make sure you don’t run into that problem (finishing a course on Java and realizing this whole time you preferred JavaScript)

:wink:

i don’t know the difference but you could tell me before i run into that problem :slightly_smiling_face:

Java
Java is a general-purpose programming language that is class-based, object-oriented, and designed to have as few implementation dependencies as possible. It is intended to let application developers write once, run anywhere, meaning that compiled Java code can run on all platforms that support Java…

JavaScript
JavaScript, often abbreviated as JS, is a programming language that conforms to the ECMAScript specification. JavaScript is high-level, often just-in-time compiled, and multi-paradigm. It has curly-bracket syntax, dynamic typing, prototype-based object-orientation, and first-class functions…

You can read the rest on Wikipedia. I hope that helped you (I’m not the best at explaining things :slight_smile: )

1 Like

hey you are, thanks for helping know i understand which one i am suppose to take first
after i finish web development i will take computer engineering so i have to learn JavaScript. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Glad I helped! You’re welcome. :grin:

1 Like

The best motivation for me is the idea of having the streak itself. The enjoyment during the obtaining of the streak is one of the main contributing factors too, though. I wouldn’t want to do something I don’t like every day for a long time.

I hope I’ll be able to complete this challenge. I have held multiple year streaks on other websites before, so I should be able to do this. The only reason I don’t really have longer streaks is because I run out of content I want to do. I feel like I’m probably going through lessons too fast, so this should help me pace better (huh, that’s weird, x makes you do x better??).

2 Likes

I stay motivated by learning what others have achieved by following the same path that currently I am following. The community is the best source of motivation to me.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from How do you stay motivated?:

#Using phython
greeting = “Hello everyone.”
presence = “I currently go to college”
continue_presence = " and I am pursuing a degree in computer science."
difficulty = “”“However I am finding it very difficult to understand concepts such as recursion and other
more complex concepts due to the teachers at my college also many of the TA’s are no
help.”""
attempts = “”“I have made several attempts trying to figure these concepts out myself through udemy
classes unfortunately this has not worked.”""
not_worked_reason = “”“I am a full time student and my work load is really heavy so I find it very
difficult to self teach myself and manage my time will taking 30 credits a year
due to my scholarship requirement.”""
result = “I will be losing my scholarship because my teachers have failed to educate me.”
failed_attempts = “I have no choice but to reason with a low grade which is ultimately affecting my
gpa.”
failed_career_fair_attempts = “”“I have also attend about four career fair and have not landed a single
internship or co op due to my gpa I am guessing because my
communication skills are fairly well.”""
last_resort = “”“Therefore I have found myself here using codeacademy pro to give this one last
chance. My only chance.”""
goal = “My goal is to receive a bachelors degree and get an internship or co op.”
final_result = (greeting + presence + continue_presence + difficulty + attempts + not_worked_reason

• result + failed_attempts + failed_career_fair_attempts + last_resort + goal);
    print(final_result);
1 Like

To be honest, I have no motivation other than getting up every day to complete my lessons. I know what I want to do(creating games), but that doesn’t really motivate me. Just getting up and doing the lesson makes me more interested and it helps me feel happier.

Someone give me motivation to code, I am an electronics guy and I really wanna learn Python. Please send me motivation tips at [email protected] :slight_smile:

Week one is going very well, and I do 2 hours a day learning web dev. I also spend about 2 hours reading my JavaScript and jQuery book since I don’t have Pro.

I’m teaching myself Java. It’s really great to read the other posts here and see what other languages people are learning! Way to go on following your paths and goals - I wish each of you success!

I’m only on day two of the 31 Day Challenge. My motivation is pretty simple - I want to make a career change. I have a similar issue with staying motivated sometimes - it’s hard to feel successful with incremental progress. One of my favorite sayings is “Determination will fade, but habits will not.” I’m looking forward to this challenge helping me to build the good habits that I need to continue learning. Every lesson is challenging (sorry, super newbie here :slight_smile:) but learning something new and knowing that I’m on my way is a great help to continuing that.

Best of luck, everyone! If anybody else is learning Java and looking for a study buddy then please feel free to reach out :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suggest to find out if you have motivation, look at things in your life that you’re already motivated to do. In other words, what do you do every day that takes no effort to start doing? You wake up and you do it the first thing. And you do it everyday without fail!

That’s the energy you need for programming. If that’s hard to come by then I suggest you think on a “project” level instead of a “coding” student level. List 5 things you wish were better in your life? List 5 things you wish were better in the world? Take those 5 things (or 10 things) and write a short paragragh for each describing what it means to you and how you want to be a part of this awesome thing you really like. After that, of those 10 things, which one really grabs your mind and interest.

Take that one thing, and start sketching an app or website that explores this one thing. To sketch, use Powerpoint, or Keynote, or Illustrator or paper and pencil/markers. Map out ideas for this “one thing you love” and map out visuals for webpages or how it looks on a smart phone screen.

Map out each screen and specifically what each screen webpage communicates to the user. Use colorful designs, images, drawings, text…it’s an art project, basically!

If you can accomplish that, then you’re ready to go with programming because programming is just a means to accomplish your bigger, better, real-life dream: that ONE THING you love and want to do or communicate to the world.

2 Likes

Hey guys, I’ve been working on my Python skills for a week now. Glad to be part of this community!.

Wow, that touched me. Thank you for the inspiration, it really motivated me :smiley:

Warning: it can be scary too because we come to grips with what really moves us in life (i.e. what do we rise out of bed for). You’ll notice some things you spent so much time on in life just fall away because they’re not who you want to be or contribute to what you want to accomplish. But fear is an old friend you learn to tolerate, so keep on keepin’ on!