How do you manage your coding time?

How do you manage your coding time? Whether it’s learning time or time you spend doing projects.

• Pomodoro style (work for 20mins, take a 5mins break)
  • Work as much as you can, then take a well deserved break
  • Other?

0 voters

I think Pomodoro style lets you truly focus in something and make real progress, and then quickly recharge you energy by shifting your focus for a moment.

However, there are times when you just feel so clinged to what you’re doing that you spend hours working on it, and you lose sense of time. Its until you feel drained out that you stop working and take a longer break.

I honestly don’t stick to just one of these styles, it really depends on what I’m doing.

Anyways, what is your time management style when it comes to coding?

This is exactly what I do on a daily basis. My mom had to drag me from my room to eat something.

1 Like

Haha, I know that feeling. Although I’m not quite there yet with coding…I get lost in art :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I do a combination of both.

I wasn’t aware of the term “Pomodoro” to describe time mgmt.
I was thinking of the pasta sauce. :slight_smile: :spaghetti:

2 Likes

Hehe, no, not that kinda pomodoro :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I knew about it cause my Dad loves managing his time in the most efficient ways possible, so he knew about the Pomodoro technique. Until this day, I haven’t been able to figure out why they called it like that :laughing:

1 Like

Looks like the reason it’s called “Pomodoro” is because the inventor used a tomato-shaped timer. :tomato:

2 Likes

I’ll do 25 focus, 5 break if I plan on being engaged all day. For myself, I found it to be the best way I can get to 9pm and still going strong

1 Like

Oh. Well thanks for that :nerd_face:

1 Like

One tip I use is to set small goals that are easy to accomplish and then easily exceed it with the idea that I am coding everyday. The goal can be as little at 15min of coding a day. Over time I have found that I can schedule in 2hrs a day without struggle. On good days I find myself coding for more than 3hrs without any stress or anxiety. I have found that coding too late into the night can be difficult because you get tired and may lose patience. If this is the case it is best to think about coding and learning when you are rested, energized, and thinking more clearly.

Breaks can be good as long as they don’t derail your concentration.

Finally I will say that exercise is also an important part of coding because prolonged sitting is bad for your health. I think taking care of your physical and mental health, to the point possible, will also make you a better student and developer. This of course, requires some level of discipline, but is not impossible.

Finally for motivation consider celebrating other people’s learning successes. The virtual community and group focus sessions and webinars (even beginner’s level webinars) can be helpful and encouraging.

Hope some of these strategies and tips help you on your journey!

2 Likes

And let’s not forget nutrition! A lot of people will sit in front of their computer for hours and forget to drink water. Staying hydrated will help you with concentration and stress. So many people forget to drink water regularly!

3 Likes

Love that.

Setting smaller goals is something that definitely has worked for me. It makes me feel like I am achieving something, and that just makes me want to keep going.

And yeah, breaks are important but you gotta learn to control yourself, cause if you don’t focus you ain’t getting anywhere.

The exercise part is also very important, I myself still struggle a bit with that. (Especially because most of the activities I like require me to sit down for a loooong time).

Thanks for your tips :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes! :slight_smile: I second the point about exercise. I’m a huge proponent of that b/c one influences the other.
Stuck on learning a new concept that’s particularly difficult or have an error that you can’t figure out? Go outside for a walk (or run or bike, whatever).

I think it helps your brain not only take a break but helps you clear your mind and think in a different way. So when you come back to your studying, or trying to fix a coding error, you might see something that you didn’t before.

2 Likes