How do You Cope?

I’m not even certain this is how to approach this, but do you people find this difficult: the learning? Every time I visit the academy, i go away feeling stupid(er) and hopeless. Nothing gets through to me! So, please, how do you cope with this kind of frustrations?

6 Likes

Hey there! I get how feel, I’ve been through it. I recently wrote an article on Dealing with Frustration While Learning to Code, so you can check that out if you want :slightly_smiling_face:

Also I just want to tell you, please do not give up. Coding can be really hard at times but the key is persistence. And if ever need help with anything, you can always come here to the forums and ask for help :slightly_smiling_face:

Hope this helped you! :grinning:

6 Likes

Hey!:wave: I’m so very thankful you took time to reply! And yes this helped. A lot.:slight_smile:

3 Likes

So glad it did :relaxed:

1 Like

Hi, I’ve been getting back into coding.

I’m a professional musician. I still remember what it was like to begin as a beginner. Let me tell you, that feeling of not knowing everything, or that things aren’t clicking perfectly doesn’t really go away.

What can go away is the anxiety that it’s a bad thing! New things take time to click even when you’ve been in a field for a long time. Being kind to yourself and giving yourself the time you need to fully digest information is the best advice I can recommend (along with sticking to it!).

4 Likes

We all have different learning styles and preferences. Some times it’s not about how smart you are, but the way it was explained to you. I’m sure you’ve heard of how some people are more “visual learners” while others are more “auditory learners”. Some prefer to write it down on paper long hand, while others swear by voice notes.

My point is, you might want to take a moment to think about the best way you like to learn. The ways ideas stick better to you. Coding, especially at beginner levels, is something anyone can learn. Stay motivated, ask the community when you have questions, and have patience.

In my case, I like learning by doing, so every time I cover something new I like to step aside and do a mini-project using the concepts I just learned!

3 Likes

Learning to code is frustrating. We’ve all been there (and if people tell you they haven’t felt frustrated, they’re lying).
Give yourself a break, cut yourself some slack. You’re not going to learn everything; no one can.
It’s easy to get overwhelmed when learning a new language…b/c that’s what you’re doing (I tell myself, ‘would I expect to learn how to read and write [insert foreign language here]’? Nope!). For me, repetition helps. Doing helps. Write the code in the lessons, erase your answers, do it again. Maybe take notes, draw diagrams and write technical concepts in words that make sense to you, using your lexicon. Also, a key part of learning these new concepts and languages is if you can explain what you’re doing to someone else that will further solidify concepts in your brain too.
It’s a weird mindset to some…getting comfortable being uncomfortable. BUT, you become less and less uncomfortable the more you do/practice and the kinder you are to yourself. Keep going but also know when to take a break and come back.

That’s just my .02

4 Likes

Haha☺the sticking to it part is already proving hard. But I’ll take your word for it. Thank you so much for replying to me. It is encouraging that others too went through the same, or almost similar situation.

1 Like

Hey! Thank you so much for this. I suppose, giving myself some time won’t hurt.

1 Like

Hey! Wow, this is different. Getting comfortable being uncomfortable. I should really try this. Thank you so much for your insights.

1 Like